wsommariva

Sifted compost

Hi everyone,

I've been composting grass and leaves and kitchen scraps for many years. I sifted only whenever I needed a sifted product.

Last week a made another bin just for sifted compost. 4 x 3 x 2. 24 cu feet. Question is do I need to keep the sifted compsot moist.

Thanks in advance.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

No, generally it is covered to keep the rain out, so the nutrients aren't washed out until you use it. It can be even be stored in empty trash cans etc. Once it is sifted it is ready for use and you don't want to add water because that will keep it decomposing into "soil", you want to keep it as dry as possible until you use it.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I would avoid storing compost for more than a few weeks though. It's alive and continues to decompose very slowly even after it's done with the obvious decomposition phase. There are two important points about this. First, that biologically active system is part of what makes your soil fertile, not just the nutrient content. You want that living in your soil while it's still active, for the maximum benefit. Second, as it continues to decompose, nutrients and the organic matter content (I.e. total volume) slowly decrease. So the longer you keep it the less compost you have when you get around to using it. For that reason I don't store it more than a few weeks after it becomes dark crumbly stuff. Use it somewhere and make another batch. :-]

wsommariva

Really sorry for not responding sooner. I was relying on an e-mail saying I had replies.

Good things to know, thanks very much. I will plan my sifting to coincide with using it.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

No worries. Happy gardening!

wsommariva

That e-mail notice went into my SPAM file. So I authorized it and now should be good.

This weekend I add a vinyl cover to my sifted bin.

Return to “Composting Forum”