soozie-q
Newly Registered

Seeking to Buy Replacement Wheels for 1982 Compost Tumbler

Hi, I'm new to composting & just bought an old 1982 original compost tumbler. It needs new wheels, & I thought I could just order them from the company. Apparently they don't make them anymore, though. :(

Do any of you composters with the older compost tumblers know where to order these black rubber wheels? They are 4" diameter, 2" wide, & have a 1" hole for the axle. Apparently the compost tumbler company used hospital gurney wheels for the original model. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Soozie-q,

How about ordering the same wheels from a hospital supply company? Maybe you could find something similar at one of the home improvement stores?

Newt

soozie-q
Newly Registered

Hi Newt, Thanks for the advice. I'm checking into the castor supply companies - all seem to have larger axle holes than mine. In looking at this dilemma, I'm thinking it may be better to re-laminate the existing wheels. The tumbler's just in too good a condition to send to the dump. It's great - back in the 80's they were building equipment to last! Thanks again for your suggestions, Newt, Soozie-q

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are so very welcome! I too can't stand to put anything in the dump if there is any way to reuse it, so I do understand. I hope you can get the wheels repaired.

Newt

Vallia
Newly Registered

I would try to go to harbor freight they t=have tons of wheels and I'm sure you can find them there.

brewerjamie15

Can you provide a picture of the wheels and how they mount? Perhaps some suggestions could be better formed that way.

Return to “Composting Forum”