Jayneil
Newly Registered

Poured Water Used to Boil Meat into Compost.. Fixable?

I accidentally emptied a pan of water, that had been used to boil meet, on my compost pile.
Please tell me there is a way to save my compost? :oops:

applestar
Mod

Why are you concerned? Was it hot? Did it have lots of salt in it?

Meat is discouraged in the compost pile because it is more likely to attract unwanted attention from critters -- rats, dogs, cats, other wild animals. Also could attract flies. But these critters could potentially visit/raid your compost pile anyway.

Adding meat or meat boiling water in and of itself won't be a problem.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Broth will be micro-herd food as soon as it cools. I might refrain from putting meat itself into compost because it attracts critters.

applestar
Mod

Right -- tomc -- I meant as far as "ruining" the compost. -- I don't put meat in the compost pile either.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Jaye didn't post any more, but at least came back to presumably read replies.

Stop in and post any time Jaye.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If you come back I'll tell you about how I compost the entire bones, skin and fat of the Thanksgiving turkey by burying it in a steaming hot pile of grass clippings and leaves. By spring all that's left is the occasional large bone. It's not that meat isn't compostable - in fact nature recycles dead animals just fine through decomposition on or in the soil. The only problem is the attraction of critters (varmints as we call em in the Ozarks).

treehopper

Pouring meat broth in the compost pile is no problem whatsoever. I inspires the night critters to give you a hand in turning the pile.

Return to “Composting Forum”