pippa59
Newly Registered

Bokashi - first batch

I have my first batch of Bokashi full, closed it on 3/19, am draining off liquid regularly, didn't get much today. How can I tell when it's done? I plan to add it to my outdoor compost if it ever thaws out here. :roll: It's a new pile in a new place, not big enough to keep working in the winter here. I'd like to free up the bucket as soon as possible for a new batch. I do have another bucket ready to use.

applestar
Mod

How is your bokashi cooking? Has it been heating up? You don't open Bokashi once it's full and ready, but I used to feel the top and the sides. So HOT when in full fermentation phase, then it cools down.

pippa59
Newly Registered

I never noticed heat - just checked and the bucket is cool to the touch, not warm. It's in my kitchen, which is cool - whole house is cool right now unless you're under the grow lights or by the woodstove! Haven't opened it since I filled it on 3/19. I still get a small amount of liquid every other day, smells good. My houseplants love it 1 tsp to a gallon of water. I've started a second bucket and have some wheat bran, molasses and EM1 started, might have to buy a little to use in the buckets before it's ready.
Do you keep yours going all summer? I'm tempted to do it just for the material as an addition to the outside pile.
I find myself coveting peoples' vegetable scraps...

Return to “Composting Forum”