evrtevrt
Newly Registered

How to add compost to soil

Hello,

Let me preface this by stating that I am a beginning gardener, so this might seem like a funny question to the experienced gardeners that patrol this forum. Nonetheless, I thought I would still ask my question.

I recently joined a community garden and they provided us with the soil, which was a planter box mixed bought from this place:

https://whittierfertilizer.com/products/ ... idnews=198

I sowed my seeds yesterday and it didn't occur to me until right now that the this planter box mix may not have compost blended into it...is it too late to add the compost now? will anything grow? if it's possible to add compost now, do I just do an unblended top layer? do I take out all my seeds and replant?

Thank you all in advance :)

Mr green
Green Thumb

First of all little seedlings don't need that much nutrients really they have what they need to get going in the seed itself.
You can add a layer of compost on top no problem at all. But I would wait until the plants came up and are a little bit established.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree. Don't do anything to the seeds now (except keep them watered! :) ). After they are well sprouted and have true leaves, put your compost down and stir it in to the top layer of soil a bit (but not too close to where the little plants are, you don't want to mess with their roots).

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

After reading a little about this mix, I would be more interested in getting a good quality organic fertilizer down before adding a little compost as mulch. Note that when the question came up in Comments about growing vegetables in the mix, the advice was: "Flower and Vegetable Mix is what you should use." That mix is 30% more expensive than what you've got.

I have the idea that many are using the "plaster box mix" for ornamentals receiving regular, or time-released, fertilizer. You could take the same route and something like several side-dressings of an organic 5-5-5 fertilizer could go a long way to providing necessary nutrients.

I think you are right to be concerned that the mix contains very little plant food.

Steve

evrtevrt
Newly Registered

Thank you all!!

Steve, could you elaborate? do you have any recommendations for organic fertilizers? how should I lay it down? everyone has said not to blend it as it might disturb the seed. let me know your thoughts...

thanks!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Higher number, organic fertilizers are often of animal by-product origin. The plant nutrients available in them tend to be available fairly quickly.

Much of my compost is destined for use on the potatoes. Potatoes need fertile ground. Before they require mulching or hilling to protect the tubers from sunlight, I'm out there with a sprinkle of fertilizer. Then, I cover it with compost. With the first watering, some of those nutrients become available to the plants.

Steve

Return to “Composting Forum”