Moobs
Newly Registered

Cost of fresh manure?

I was just wondering if someone could tell me how much a 5-gallon bucket of fresh manure goes for?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Moobs if you were to ask politely the farmer, a pail of manure is likely to be free.

Moobs
Newly Registered

tomc wrote:Moobs if you were to ask politely the farmer, a pail of manure is likely to be free.
Thanks, I'm curious about a dollar figure. I may need a few pails on more than one occasion. Just wondering what a pale would typically cost of a farmer were to charge for it.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Horse-cow manure off the pile runs between $ 0.00 to $ 10.00 per ton here abouts. You pick it up and move it.

imafan26
Mod

Most stables are more than willing for anyone to collect it. Chicken manure is sold at chicken farms. Here it is more pricey at $4 a bag. Fresh manure is better if you add it to your compost pile, rather than directly to the garden. It will help to heat up the pile and give it time for the pathogens to be killed off.

River

Find a stable they will thank you afterwards. I never thought about this, but I was told to make sure they don't spray there fields. As it was said above its best to compost fresh manure it will heat the pile up well. Plus after its composted and u see things growing in it will answer the question regarding pesticides.

imafan26
Mod

Besides pathogens like salmonella and e-coli in the manure, some manures like cow manures from pastures and horse manures have a lot of weed seeds in them. Composting them first, especially if you hot compost should kill off or force the weed seeds to sprout and be killed off first.

If you use fresh manure in the garden ATTRA recommends that nothing is harvested for 120 days from the date of application, or fresh manure needs to age 90 days before being worked into the garden and nothing you eat raw or touches the ground should be harvested for at least another 30 days. If the manure is not hot composted, you need to consider it fresh.

Return to “Composting Forum”