brooksms

Decomposed wood chips?

Is there a company selling compost made completely of decomposed wood chips? I watched a youtube video on growingyourgreens.com and the Back to Eden film about how this composed wood can really increase the size of crops. However, it takes three years to break down and I'm a little impatient! It would be nice to buy until I can break down my own over time but I haven't found any for purchase without other ingredients mixed in.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Stir in some manure and lay it on your garden. Age latter batches.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I would venture to say that the decomposition process itself (using wood chips as a mulch on top of the soil) has a lot to do with its beneficial effects on soil. I haven't seen the Eden video but just from what I know about wood decomposition.

Once things are fully composted, the final product is more similar than the different ingredients one may have started with. So I'm not sure a wood-based compost will be that much of an advantage.

Also, the fact that it's so slow to decompose is exactly why they add other ingredients. You're not likely to find what you seek as it's not economical to wait that long.

brooksms

That makes sense. Thank you! I was curious why something so beneficial isn't being sold like everything else.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Good video on what to use the woodchips for! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEkFFRjDkvs

So cover your soil with them as mulch.

Return to “Composting Forum”