Gilcano

Shredded leaves speed up compost??

I don't know much about composting, I'm learning and read so many articles and information I can get about the subject. One of my friends who work in a building close to my place told me his maintenance crew have a "leave shredder" machine called Billy Goat that they use to pick up all the leaves around the property but they don't keep them, they just put the shredded leaves out for Sanitation pick up (meaning garbage).

I'll talk to the guys to see if they are willing to give me the shredded leaves for composting, I'll offer bags to collect them.
I think it's a good idea to start a compost pile.

:cool:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a terrific idea to start a compost pile! Best thing you can do for your garden.

Yes, in general smaller chunk size means that it breaks down quicker. Shredded leaves are a wonderful ingredient for your compost pile, when mixed with "greens," nitrogen sources, like coffee grounds, kitchen scraps, grass clippings, pulled weeds, etc.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

the smaller the piece size of your composting 'stuph' is, the greater amount of contact each piece gets, the faster it rots.

Turning a pile is something you have to do. Using shredded leaves is like twice the result, with half the work...

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Definitely collect those shredded leaves! They will break down slowly but you can do things to speed up the process. Dump as many as you can into an open bin and let them get wet and start decomposing over the winter. Use them to layer with your kitchen scraps in another bin or pile. If you leave a bin full of leaves for a couple years, it will make Leaf Mould, an amazing fluffy compost. Or when spring comes, find some grass clippings to mix with bagged leaves or the ones that got a head start in the leaf bin. Finally you can use them as mulch, which will decompose into the soil and improve it. If you don't like the look you can add a cover layer of another mulch.

Leaves are Nature's soil conditioner and it's a sin to put them in the landfill!

Return to “Composting Forum”