LovetoGarden22

Used Rabbit Bedding for Compost?

I purchased a book on composting a while back and she said that used rabbit bedding is considered an in-between. Not green and not brown. Will it work by itself to make compost? Do I need to add more greens? I have 2 rabbits, and use pine shavings in their litter boxes. The reason I say by itself is that our lawn gets sprayed with weed killer and bug killer, so grass clippings are not an option in the compost bin. And we don't have enough kitchen scraps to add either since they go to the rabbits. Thanks for the input. :D

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Bunny bedding combined with bunny bullets it a total product for making compost.

The more you look though, the more stuph you'll find to use in your compost pile.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree with tom, that should be a decent place to start. And you will find other things to add to your pile - how about used paper towels, toilet paper tubes, shredded junk mail, fall leaves for browns. It may be late to collect fall leaves now, but for next year collect a bunch of them - I pick up bags of leaves other people put out at the curb. And right now your garden isn't producing much, crop or waste, but during the growing season there's lots of pulled weeds, deadheaded flower blossoms, prunings, trimmings, etc. Even your old tomato vines can go in, if chopped up a bit. If your pile needs more "greens," collect used coffee grounds from Starbucks or other places that serve/ sell coffee (I bring them home from work). Bunnies won't want them, but they are good in the compost pile.

See also this recent thread on "bunny berries" in the compost pile https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... ny+berries

LovetoGarden22

Thanks everyone! :-()

Return to “Composting Forum”