River

Different types of grasses

So the irony for me was thinking it would be difficult to accumulate a lot of leaves to have ready in spring when the grass starts growing.

It will be more difficult to get grass cuttings that are poop & herbicide chemical free, but that's my dilemma. So from my experience thus far st Augustine grows well & lush & really works well in the compost pile. Would u think all grasses are equally as good? There is a lot of yards that have Bermuda. Some with centipede, but I cannot afford to be picky when spring arrives

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

River, I live in Lafayette, La. Same climate and similar growing conditions. For a lawn St. Augustine is the easiest to grow. It does die back and brown in winter. Centipede and Bermuda are also nice choices. Centipede and Bermuda can be started from seed. St. Augustine does not do well started from seed. Plant sod or plugs.

If you plant Centipede or Bermuda and your neighbors have St. Augustine be prepared for your lawn to eventually be taken over by St. Augustine.

Regarding grass clippings in your compost pile it does not matter what type of grass you grow. It is all nitrogen.. A viable compost bin is all about a proper balance of carbons (leaves) and nitrogen (grass clippings, kitchen scraps, cured manure).

Check out the advise given in the Forum's composting section. LOTS of great information.

Good luck.

River

I am not planting grass. I have to find grass cuttings in the spring. I was able to cut all I needed from a local park near my garden, but our mayor sub it out. So I have to find a new source that I know is herbicide/chemical free. I was just curious if say Bermuda, st Augustine,centipede etc
If one is better then the other

Again I can't afford to be to picky

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I for one don't rely on grass clippings for compost. I use the mulcher-mower, and clippings go back in to feed the grass. Many people who don't use chemicals on their lawns probably do the same, that is, let the grass feed itself.

River

Susan W wrote:I for one don't rely on grass clippings for compost. I use the mulcher-mower, and clippings go back in to feed the grass. Many people who don't use chemicals on their lawns probably do the same, that is, let the grass feed itself.
So if u had 3-4 large piles what would u use?
It's just my wife and I & I use the kitchen scraps. My yard is not large
So I have very little grass clippings
I agree it's better to mulch & return it back to the lawn I just need
A good amount in the spring. It's much easier gathering leaves

I have shredded 3 very large piles of leaves some of it will become leaf mould but I would like to compost the rest

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I don't think there is much difference between grasses. I would be a lot more concerned about Bermuda taking hold, just because I hate the stuff and am trying to kill it. Your situation may be different, just keep in mind that anything you import could potentially get loose, if that matters to you.

I'm not too worried about herbicides unless there is a risk that they are using the persistent stuff (picloram for example). 2,4-D and the common household ones that are in weed-n-feed will decompose. Again your mileage may vary, it's a matter of preference for some.

Return to “Composting Forum”