Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Wood shavings

I had to have 2 VERY large oak trees pruned this year. I kept a very large pile of wood shavings from it instead of sending it to the dump (Much fluffier than chunks or chips).

Anyway, I'd like to use them for mulch between my raised rows. Nothing grows there except for weeds and some volunteers. It's heavily traveled and relatively hard packed. I don't till. This fall, I'll be trying to pull up the rest of the fabric (.....total junk product :evil: ) that we put down 3 years ago. I started this spring, but got frustrated (and I had a babysitter...time was tickin.) and had to abort mission.

Your thoughts on wood chips (shavings) between raised rows?

My main concern would be nitrogen leech.
Thanks! :()

tomc
Super Green Thumb

My likes wood shaving between rows :cool: .

As top dressing they help conserve water & do help keep down weeds. Urban legends about top-applied shavings causing; swamp monsters to eat the neighbors kids are greatly exagerated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think it will be fine. Nitrogen leach would mainly occur if you mixed the shavings in to the soil. Since they will be sitting on top of it, by the time they are actually getting mixed in the soil very much, they should be at least partly broken down.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

WOOHOO!!!
Urban legends about top-applied shavings causing; swamp monsters to eat the neighbors kids are greatly exagerated.
2 things:

1.) Baaaaahahaha! I lol'd loud enough to get curious looks from co-workers. :oops: :()

2.) At our house, we blame everything on the neighbor kids. Someone eats the rest of the ice cream, it was the neighbor kids. Someone used all the TP and didn't replace the roll....it was the neighbor kids!!!

I'm glad these are useable!

Return to “Composting Forum”