Voices30
Cool Member

Question about compost

Am I correct in the thought that compost will eventually "happen" no matter what? if I had a pile, and I never turned it or anything, and just let it sit there for a couple of years, would it turn to anything usable? I ask because I have one on my in=laws yard that I made in the fall, and I Haven't visited it or anything since then.. LOL I'm going the "low maintenance" route. They have a 13 acre property and will never even go back there probably again throughout the course of there lives. So will it work? or do I have to maintain it?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Yes, it will just happen. It will grow if you take more to add to it but what is there will turn in to lovely black compost :)

In summer it happens so quickly we often get 3 batches and that's just because we're too lazy to empty the bin out more often. In autumn and spring its slower and in North American winter I am guessing it doesn't happen at all.

Worms help but they will arrive on their own. We find that larger larvae like Pachnoda sinuata will chomp through huge amounts of raw material to produce stunning black compost in amazingly short periods of time.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If it was alive it will rot. Piled, or binned, yard barn and kitchen waste will rot someplace you can find again.

That said, it will rot slower inna pile than if it was turned and chopped or shredded first.

Voices30
Cool Member

Perfect!

Return to “Composting Forum”