vaparks

Fireplace ashes

I started my compost about a month ago and I have been having a hard time find browns to add it. Seeing that I am in Wisconsin and it's just a blanket of white outside right now, normally I would use grass, leaves, and other outdoor products. I do two fireplaces, which makes me have a lot of ash. I normally use it for ice melts, but for the dogs feet then the chemical salts. But I can spare some ash for my compost, is it considered a brown?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

vaparks wrote: But I can spare some ash for my compost, is it considered a brown?
No, its likely too alkaline.

Shredded newspapers, junque mail, cardboard will do as browns.

applestar
Mod

Do you chop your own fire wood? Wood chips could be browns.

You can use the wood ash later for sowing peas and crucifers, around base of fruit trees -- I wish I had fireplace ash.... :|

vaparks

I do chop my own wood. Could I also use saw dust?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

vaparks wrote:I do chop my own wood. Could I also use saw dust?
I did and have used sawdust as a brown. I would withhold painted or treated wood from compost.

davidschweer

I like using sawdust to mulch my blueberries over the winter! It keeps them warm and weed free in the spring and is great addition to the soil for them!
As far as ash is concerned.....I use it just not in large amounts. Usually I have a huge spring bonfire from all the garden and tree cleaning around the property. I have the fire in the middle of the garden and spread the ashes directly all over!
But too much in a certain place can kill plants be careful!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Ash has no nitrogen or carbon content to speak of so it is not a brown or green at all. As stated it has very high pH so do not use much in your compost. Maybe a quart in a cubic yard sized pile. Some people sprinkle it on the ground in fall/winter and let nature leach away the alkaline components. In fact you can sprinkle it right on the snow (although it's not pretty!)

Ash does have some K and P in it, and numerous trace minerals. If your soil is not already alkaline, a light sprinkling on lawns and gardens will be fine.

Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

I burn six cords of wood each winter, and use most of the ashes in my garden... but I also use a lot of pine needles in my compost, and the ground here is a little acidic anyway, and I think it evens out.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Vaparks - use ash only in extreme moderation. Wood ash will increase the soil pH. Not good unless your soil is very acidic. Have a soil test done. Saw dust is good but again in moderation. Very thin layers in your compost. A thick layer of sawdust will pack and get mushy instead of decomposing - at least not very quickly. Cardboard paper rolls - shredded. I cut them open and run them through the shredder. Coffee grounds, filters, tea bags, shredded newspaper in thin layers. Query horse breeders and cattle farmers. See if you can get cured manure. Very dry - should crumble in your hand. Rabbit manure can be used fresh. query rabbit breeders in your city. They will be happy to have you show up with a shove and 5 gallon buckets to scoop up the poop. Greens from raw, unseasoned kitchen scraps and grass clippings. Layer, brown, green, manure. Repeat. Turn weekly.

Good luck

Return to “Composting Forum”