cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I guess I *do* live under a very large rock. I've never heard of rubber "mulch." Thanks be to all deities, spirits, and the Most High.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.gardeners.com/Wide-Recycled-Rubber-Edge-Border-Mulch/EdgingMulches_Mulches,37-492,default,cp.html]recycled rubber mulch[/url]

they (and lots of other garden catalogs) sell it in all different shapes, rounds to go around the base of trees, etc, and usually at least a couple different colors.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Shredded and crumbed tires increase the surface area and therefor the leaching of the listed toxins (among many others).

Disturbingly some organizations trying to legalize this as a "bulking agent" to compost... :roll:

Fer cryin out loud...

HG

applestar
Mod

I see them most often used as playground mulch.... :shock:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yeah, nice... :roll:

[url=https://www.allbusiness.com/government/government-bodies-offices/13887364-1.html]Here's something to think on[/url]. EPA is testing now, but the results aren't in. Still, with the list of known chemicals in vulcanized rubber, to use this in an exposed high surface area manner like crumb, with no solid safety data to date, is clearly irresponsible.

HG

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Maybe we should start using Asbestos fiber around playground equipment. :roll: I bet it's nice and soft. :shock:

Just kidding folks. Rubber mulch is a dumb idea.

Eric

milifestyle

I agree with Scott, Rubber "Mulch" is a joke... just a cheap way of getting rid of tyres and "appearing" to be Environmentally friendly. I doubt any productive life or bacteria would survive long under it...

Return to “Composting Forum”