ChrisC_77

Adding mulched leavings directly to garden.

I am composting currently. However, would it be a beneficial amendment to the soil to directly work in a decent amount of mulched leaves that I collect in my bag on my mower? Or will it not break down well enough?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Don't tell anybody mulched leaves--grass clippings won't work as ground cover. I wouldn't have any mulch at all if that was true.

applestar
Mod

I think if you are growing in the garden now, it's best to use the chopped leaves on the surface as mulch.

ChrisC_77

applestar wrote:I think if you are growing in the garden now, it's best to use the chopped leaves on the surface as mulch.

I think I will do that next season when I save an abundance of leaves from this fall. Thanks!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If you till them in at the end of the gardening season, they will break down over the winter. Since they break down slowly, especially in cold weather, this will be the best way to have the soil ready by spring. I think this would be better than saving them up and digging them in in the spring.

For the last mowings of the year I usually bag leaves and grass together (a perfect compost blend) and pile it on the garden as mulch for winter. AKA sheet composting. In spring it's pretty well broken down and can be dug in or planted through. Lots of ways to do it.

imafan26
Mod

Leaves can be worked in but it is better applied as mulch and worked in after you harvest and give it a few weeks and an extra dose of nitrogen. If you work it in and plant on top of it immediately, the soil microbes that decompose the leaves will compete with the plants for nitrogen. Unless, you will be supplementing with additional nitrogen in divided doses, your plants may not get enough of the nitrogen they need when they are young and need it the most. You may not have to supplement as much if you plant inoculated beans vs a heavy nitrogen feeder like corn.

gepstein

I have woods all around me and wow is the soil 2 - 4" under all the dead leaves beautiful. Dead, chopped leaves are a super mulch to help the soil retain water. Leaves will always break down but while they are in process they shield the soil & roots from the hot sun and dry days. The only thing I'd think of is the nutrients your plant needs. Certain leaves are more acid than others. Consider the ph needs of your plants but if they're trees naturally there in your yard chances are they thrive on all those mulched leaves.

Return to “Composting Forum”