Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Grocery store trash dumpster, FREE compost

My local grocery store said, we throw out about 500 lbs of bad produce sometimes every day in 50 lb boxes. I checked the 4 trash dumpsters behind the store they are full of, cabbage, tomatoes, melons, bell peppers, carrots, plums, papaya, mango, banana, apples, lettuce, onions, potatoes, grapes, peaches, pears, etc.

I am hauling fruit and vegetables home and throwing it in my compost. Works great and it is free.

Check your local trash dumpsters for free compost.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

My city looked into that issue an now composts it all and uses the compost for city jobs. No more paying for dirt :)

I am proud of my city!

Glad your putting it to use!! More people should !!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Great that the store gave you permission to compost the stuff. A lot of stores, especially bigger chains, have policies about this because of liability. They get real hinky about dumpster diving because they think people are going to eat the food, get sick and sue the store. Or at least their lawyers think so, and that's all it takes.

I was listening to a show on NPR last weekend about visioning the future (in, say, 50 years). One scientist said that the concept of 'waste' will be a thing of the past. Everything will be recycled, not only materials but nutrients. The idea of food waste going to a landfill will be completely foreign. Personally, I can't wait!

webmaster
Site Admin

As Tox implied, it's important to get permission.

Reasons why you should not take things out of a dumpster without permission:
1. It could be illegal in your town. Check your city or state ordinances.

2. Even without a specific ordinance prohibiting dumpster diving, the practice can still be considered trespassing.

3. It is unsanitary.

4. It is potentially unsafe. You could get injured or killed. Dumpsters were not made for diving.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I don't dumpster dive but I do get stuff from locally owned grocery stores and produce markets. Most cull their produce either early in the morning or late in the day. I show up and don't even have to worry about containers. They put the stuff in empty produce boxes for me and even put it in my trunk. My city has a recycling facility. My pick up day is Tuesday. They pick up tree limbs cut to a certain size and any other yard waste if it is bagged. Tree trimmers who do not have their own compost facility bring trees and branches to the facility. There is a fee to dump. The resulting compost is given to Parish (County) residents. I never considered putting out kitchen waste because I use it in the compost bin. If I did not compost I would bag that kind of material separately and put it out for yard waste pick up.

If you look around there are many sources of free compost material. If you want to add shredded newspaper and don't get your local paper pick up the local sales rag at grocery stores and fast food outlets. Grab a bunch and shred them. Query and call local rabbit breeders. They will be happy to have you scoop the poop. Bring your own shovel and 5 gallon buckets. Local horse breeders, or cattle breeders or race tracks are another source of free manure. Depending on the size of the operation they may load the back of your truck or trailer for you with a front end loader.

Another source for greens would be local wholesale and some retail nurseries. If you see tree trimmers in your area that have used a grinder stop them and ask for a load. You need space to let it sit and cure and access for the truck. They will give it too you because if they bring it to a designated dump site they have to pay to dump.

There are SOOO many resources for free compost material.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

It's the wave of the future. I just heard that MA has a new law requiring any facility that produces more than a ton of food waste per week must make arrangements to have it composted and not send it to the landfill. This is eventually going to turn things around! :-()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yay!!

imafan26
Mod

I know that the city composter is building an enclosed facility so they can start recycling food scraps from restaurants, stores, and schools. They do accept cardboard and wooden pallets now, but they will also be able to compost newspapers (which they don't take now). They don't take this now because they said the food scraps in particular will increase the vermin like rats, and mongoose and they will have better control and less complaints from neighbors in an enclosed facility. I think they still plan to age the compost outdoors but the initial windrows will probably be started in the enclosed space.

Right now schools are working with the local vermicast producer to recycle kitchen fruit waste. The schools end up throwing out a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables because of palatability and portion size issues. It is a shame since a lot of what is thrown out is perfectly good for eating but they are not allowed to second serve items even when they are intact.

Unfortunately while legislation was meant to improve child nutrition by providing fresh fruit with every meal, the regulations did not take into account appropriate portion sizes for children of different ages. A 5 year old cannot eat a whole 8 inch banana and the fruit has to be served whole. It would help if the schools bought apple bananas instead since they are smaller, but school buyers look for the best prices and quantity without thinking about portion sizes and the law as written does not allow the produce to be cut into appropriately sized portions. BTW one serving of banana is usually 1/2 of a banana.

bowhuntaz

Right now schools are working with the local vermicast producer to recycle kitchen fruit waste. The schools end up throwing out a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables because of palatability and portion size issues. It is a shame since a lot of what is thrown out is perfectly good for eating but they are not allowed to second serve items even when they are intact.

Unfortunately while legislation was meant to improve child nutrition by providing fresh fruit with every meal, the regulations did not take into account appropriate portion sizes for children of different ages. A 5 year old cannot eat a whole 8 inch banana and the fruit has to be served whole. It would help if the schools bought apple bananas instead since they are smaller, but school buyers look for the best prices and quantity without thinking about portion sizes and the law as written does not allow the produce to be cut into appropriately sized portions. BTW one serving of banana is usually 1/2 of a banana.
All the finest fruits and veggies don't amountto anything if you can't get the kids to put it down their pipe.

I applaud the concept, boo hiss at the implementation and execution.
Want to get kids to go nuts over veggies? Grow the weird colored types, like purple beans, peppers, and the like. I catch my buddy's daughter in the garden all the time munching the oddballs right off the plants!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

They have to be served whole? Why can't they cut a banana in half? :?:

gepstein

I've gone to grocery stores for produce for my hens. Turns out Stop and Shop has at least 2 stores that separate the organics out for a pig farmer. Anytime, a store recycles the incredible amount of waste it's a win-win. I work at a school and collect all of their fresh veggie scraps and compost that and the hens like it too. Someone suggested collecting (fresh) veggie waste from restaurants. Now if you're organic growing & composting you just have to be more selective.

Return to “Composting Forum”