pinksand
Greener Thumb

Can dead slugs and beer be tossed in?

I had put a few dishes of beer out in the garden to help with slug control (worked very nicely btw!) but now I don't know what to do with the carnage and leftover beer. Could they be tossed in the compost bin? With all the rain we've been getting the beer is extremely watered down at this point but I wasn't sure if the alcohol would cause ill effects?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I don't see why not. It's not the usual thing but it's all natural and as long as you're not adding very large amounts of each it should be ok.

Actually there would be alcohols formed during decomposition naturally and they will evaporate or break down fairly quickly.

Dead bugs and things are natural too so will break down as they should.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

That makes sense! I was just thinking about what to do with it and realized it wasn't really a typical compost ingredient and I wasn't quite sure. Thank you for your response.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Yep, it'll be fine. If it's not enough beer to kill you it's not going to hurt the compost. Same goes for salty foods, etc.

The compost pile is an amazing recycler. Think of all the yucky junk you can put in, and how wonderful the product is, with very little help from us. Mother Nature is sa-weet! :cool:

Return to “Composting Forum”