wesleyc

Compost smells like hairspray?

So I have a compost pile in a pretty big container. It gets air, it gets moisture. I started it about a month ago and it it has always smelled like a moist forest. Lately, it has reduced in size enough that it isn't heating up anymore, so I decided to add some more stuff because I was doing yard work. I added brown grass clippings that had a bit of dirt in there. I added fresh grass that I pulled up from outside the lines of the lawn. There were some palm fronds sitting out in the backyard that had dried up like crazy, so I cut off the leaves and added those in, but tossed out the very woody branches. I also found a cardboard box FULL of old newspapers, so I tore up some of that and added that in. Stirred up the whole compost pile and made it homogenous and moistened it a little bit. It has been about 2 hours and I felt like going out and giving it a stir again and it wreaks like hairspray! I'm thinking that it somehow came from the newspaper that I threw in there. I'm not sure what kind of newspaper it was, but it wasn't just black and white, it had a couple of colorful pictures in there. Does that mean that it wasn't any of that soy-based ink? Should I pick it out?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

presuming the newspapers are from this century, the only non-organic/soy based inks would be glossy metallic colors.

new hairspray smell or old hairspray smell?
the old smell was likely butane/propane type propellents. new (non)smell is nitrogen/CO2.....

wesleyc

How old is old hairspray? It reminds me of stuff my mom used in the early 2000's. My dad says it smells like a farm, but I still catch a rather sharp smell in there

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

from the description of what was added to the pile, I don't see any nasties . . .

>>smells like a farm
go with Dad - which is likely whatever you're sniffing. organic stuff rotting gives off gases, smells like a farm, indeed. good description.

wesleyc

Thanks for the help. I still hold that it smells kind of chemically, but I'll live and it will live. I'll bring it up again if it gets worse, lol.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

It sounds unusual but I can't think of anything that's a serious problem here. Probably just a bloom of some particular microbe eating some particular thing. It should dissipate.

Even if some of the newspaper had metal-based inks, a few sheets will not contribute noticeably to metals content in your soil. It would take a lot over a long period of time. I normally recycle the colored sheets just in case.

Return to “Composting Forum”