toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Re: Maggots in the compost bin

I would recommend adding a layer of browns on top of every addition of food waste. This will keep your pile more balanced in terms of C:N ratio and moisture, and will help keep the insect population down by covering the juicy stuff. Check the Browns and Greens list thread at the top of the forum if you need ideas. I use sawdust and wood shavings from my shop, you can also use wood chips from the utility tree trimmers, pine shavings sold in bales for horse bedding, shredded office paper, cardboard, etc. etc.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like you need some browns. Black and white newspaper and paper towel/toilet paper rolls shredded and applied in a thin layer is one option. I have an office shredder and use that. One time I put down too thick of a layer and ended up with a soggy mess so I only use paper in moderation and in thin layers. Try searching for horse and live stock breeders in your area. Even if you do not have a trailer you can use 5 gallon buckets to pick up manure. You want dry, cured manure. Also search for rabbit breeders. Rabbit manure is a cool manure and can be used fresh. If there is a race track in your area that is a great source for manure. Most of the time breeders and ranchers will be happy to let you collect manure. Bring your buckets and a shovel. Getting leaves from your neighbor is a good idea but unless the leaves are shredded/mulched they take a lot longer to decompose. We have a live oak that sheds in March. G puts the bagger on the mower, mulches and collects the leaves. I keep them in bags for all year browns. We do have a yard so in addition to kitchen scraps when I need greens I have G bag the lawn clippings to add to my compost bins. Also check for air circulation. A lot of store bought bins don't provide enough circulation. You may have to drill holes in the bin. IDK what it is called but you can get a circular bit for a drill that will cut holes. Look for one in the 2" diameter range. Once you add some browns turn your pile to get it all mixed up.

Good luck

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm a bit puzzled by your post, Elizabeth. I agree sounds like more browns needed, drying out, and aerating. But having said more browns, you went on to talk about manures, which of course (despite the color) are NOT "browns," being moist and Nitrogen rich.

Return to “Composting Forum”