jemsister

New composter with mold, lol

I was going to start a worm composting bin. I don't have things set up yet, so I was just saving composty things for when I'm ready to go (brown paper, vegetarian food scraps, coffee grounds, eggshells...). Problem is, the pile is now moldy. Is that a bad thing? Should I throw it in the trash and start over?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

jemsister wrote:Problem is, the pile is now moldy. Is that a bad thing? Should I throw it in the trash and start over?
Something is gonna eat all this lovely garbage. I'd tuck it into the garden. or compost bin.

estorms

Just put it in a pile in your garden. I put some grass clippings over mine so I won't have to look at egg shells or carrot peels. I don't know how much worms eat, but you probably don't have to save up in advance.

jemsister

So the mold won't be harmful? I'm not completely sure what you mean by put it in the garden. I thought you weren't supposed to put stuff in that hasn't decomposed yet--that it would burn your plants?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

the mold isn't harmful. Estorms is right that the worms can only eat a little bit at a time, so you really don't need to save up for them. But it is good beginnings of a compost pile. Mix in more of the brown paper or other browns and let it sit for awhile.

estorms

Your kitchen scraps will not hurt your plants. Manure will, as will too much fertilizer. I do not hurry my compost. This years's compost pile is next year's fertilizer.

brinboise

estorms wrote:This years's compost pile is next year's fertilizer.
my compost pile is ready when it's ready, usually next season. When in need of compost sooner, I have a barrel type tumbler composter that gets the job done a lot quicker but not much volume :()

jemsister

Thanks for all the help, guys! =)

Return to “Composting Forum”