Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Question | Composts and their characteristics

Howdy,

For the past month I've come across different kinds of compost mixes, and I was wondering which is better. I'll sum my questions up to points to be answered:
  • Do worms and tini tiny insects in compost make the compost defected? The very recent compost I bought had those type of small black insects, and I didn't know whether it was defected or not. Is it good to have these in the compost, or bad?
  • Does the compost have to be moist, dry, or something between the two? Generally, you have to water it before using it, but does it have to come moist or dry? Which is better, or is there even any difference?
  • Screening sticks and small rocks out of the compost - Is it a good idea?
Thanks. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If the worms you are talking about are earthworms, that is a good sign that it is rich and organic and still alive.

Do the teeny-tiny black insects fly up when disturbed and then land again and crawl around most of the time? If so they are fungus gnats. Not particularly a good thing to have; the larvae in the soil can eat plant roots. But very common in moist compost/potting soil that has been sealed up. If you are going to use it in the garden, the problem will likely take care of itself. More of an issue if the soil is going to be in indoor containers.

People use the term compost different ways. Are you in the UK or Europe? Then what you are calling compost is probably the same or similar to what we in the US call potting soil. Potting soil with peat moss is usually sold slightly damp, because it can be difficult to wet again if it dries out completely - becomes water repellant. Otherwise, I guess it could be sold either way, but you are right, if what you buy is dry you will definitely have to get it thoroughly wet before planting in to it.

Screening depends on how rough your product is and what you are going to do with it. If you are planting seeds in to it, then definitely yes, seeds need a very fine loose fluffy medium. If it's going in pots, then probably yes, if there's a lot of sticks and stones. If just in the garden, probably doesn't matter too much.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Scrappy Coco wrote:Howdy,

For the past month I've come across different kinds of compost mixes, and I was wondering which is better. I'll sum my questions up to points to be answered:
  • Do worms and tini tiny insects in compost make the compost defected? The very recent compost I bought had those type of small black insects, and I didn't know whether it was defected or not. Is it good to have these in the compost, or bad?
Howdy back,
Those micro-herd members are vital to yard and table waste becoming fertilizer. You literally can't get there without them.
Scrappy Coco wrote:[*]Does the compost have to be moist, dry, or something between the two? Generally, you have to water it before using it, but does it have to come moist or dry? Which is better, or is there even any difference?
AS you may have noticed with peat moss, fully dry organic material can be hydrophobic. Compost (and peat for that matter) are as a result sold by volume, not weight. Moist compost is easier to use.
Scrappy Coco wrote:[*]Screening sticks and small rocks out of the compost - Is it a good idea?[/list]
Thanks. :)
Style; your esthetic, is where the rubber hits the road here. In shallow pans for an accent plant on display, sifting soil might be very important to you. Soil with 35% gravel can still be fertile and workable. I'd only sift what I needed, for its beauty. Utilitarian garden compost, I dunno if I'd even pick gravel from it.

There is a size where cobbles interfere with tilling, or growing. I'm sure there is a too big gravel size for my comfort. If you live where gravel is rampant, you sorta get used to it.

I chop brush into my compost intentionally. So its length not its presence that gets it culled or much less commonly screened out. If it was alive, it will rot.

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Thanks again folks, that was very helpful! :)

Return to “Composting Forum”