toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Re: sawdust and horse manure.

would sawdust, urine, and manure make compost too rich in nitrogen, nitrogen poor, exactly balanced? Would the sawdust and urine be in balance?
It all depends on the ratio of the ingredients - how much sawdust in relation to the high N manure and urine. If I made you a hot fudge sundae, would it have too much hot fudge for you, not enough, or just right? It all depends.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

same applies to " How exactly would urine soaked saw dust tie up nitrogen?" Sawdust (plain) incorporated in to the soil, will tie up a lot of nitrogen. Urine soaked saw dust maybe not, if there was enough urine to provide enough N to do the decomposition of the sawdust, which as tox has said is a "super-brown." Depends on the balance.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

toxcrusadr wrote: If I made you a hot fudge sundae, would it have too much hot fudge for you, not enough, or just right? It all depends.
Terrible example Toxic! There can never be too much hot fudge on a sundae for me! I'd eat hot fudge right out of the jar!!! NOW....Who's gonna make me a sundae?! Come on...who's my buddy??? :-()

Return to “Composting Forum”