bde0001
Newly Registered

Cow manure tea have unhealthy bacteria danger?

I Have cow manure in 5 gallon buckets that I added water to, to make manure tea. Though, I have had it sitting outside with no cover on them and I havent stirred it or anything, also it is sitting in shade. It has a sort of white looking film on top of the surface of the manure tea. I don't know much about tea. If it has unnhealthy bacteria that is deveolping from sitting or something harmful, is there a way I can make it safe/ good to use on my veggie garden? Maybe let it sit in the sun? should I throw a cover on it or no? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I think cow manure sitting like that could have nasties. I would throw it on my compost pile. It would be very beneficial to the compost pile and the composting process will remediate any problems.

In the future if you want to make the tea, make aerated / activated compost tea. By bubbling air through it, you keep it full of aerobic beneficial bacteria. It isn't hard to do. There's a big long thread about AACT at the beginning of this Compost section.

bde0001
Newly Registered

okay cool. Thank you. Thats what I figured. the compost pile is already pretty hot some days. Maybe I wont have to compost the "manure tea" for long? I'm guessing if I bring it up to the right temperature to burn off unhealthy stuff then Ill be good yes? what temp is that, 165 I think I read before.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Also depends on whether the manure was fresh or composted. If composted properly for several months it should not have high levels of pathogens like e coli.

Either way, I second the advice to aerate it next time.

As far as composting what you have there, it doesn't require heat, although that would take care if it essentially instantly. Basically e coli and other nasties are happy in the airless environment of the intestinal tract, and will die off in an aerobic compost pile. Consider this: Official organic gardening guidelines indicate you should wait 90-120 days after adding manure (presumably fresh, NOT composted) before harvesting veggies. So if you compost it that long before putting it in the garden, you're safe on day 1 of gardening.

Return to “Composting Forum”