mattie g
Green Thumb

Next Batch...

I finally took out my most recent batch from my compost tumbler - one that I'd started back in the fall. It's not completely finished, but I figured I'd take it out and get a new one started since I've got everything in place for a good batch. I'll just put it aside and use it for AACT this season.

The new stuff I just put into the bin is a combination of shredded leaves from last fall, fresh grass clippings, and kitchen scraps (and some weeds) from my "holding bin." I've been putting scraps in this thing since I started my previous batch - about five months' worth of scraps! So when I say that the stuff in there stunk to high heaven...I mean it STUNK TO HIGH HEAVEN!!! When I got done putting everything in the tumbler, I smelled worse than I've ever smelled - and this is coming from a long-time athlete and avid fisherman who's not afraid to sweat and get his hands dirty! :lol:

But I will say that when I went to add some final kitchen scraps yesterday morning, the bin was nice and toasty. It took all of a bout 18 hours for everything to start cooking up good. I added some air holes in the side of the tumbler, and I'm pretty confident that I have my ratio of browns to greens pretty well figured out, so I'm looking forward to what I come up with this time.

I've had OK luck so far with the tumbler, but I can tell that I didn't shred up papers and cardboard enough, since I've been getting a lot of balled-up unfinished bits that are obviously balled-up paper products. I've only had the tumbler since last spring, so I didn't have any leaves saved up for my browns last year. Saving a few bags of leaves from last fall was the best idea I've had, as I think it'll help to get everything mixed much better than before.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So what is your "holding bin" like? I'm thinking it is not very aerated? If your stuff waiting for the tumbler had been in an open bin (think wire cage or something) with maybe some twiggy stuff in it, to help keep it from packing down, it would be well on the way to being compost by now, even without the tumbler and it would not stink.

I muck around in my compost pile several times a year, turning it over. Take all the stuff from the top of the pile to be the bottom of a new pile, down to where it is almost finished. Sometimes it is easiest just to do that with my hands. It may be a bit gooey and messy, but none of it stinks.

applestar
Mod

IMHO if you have to use a tumbler and not an on ground pile, you NEED at least two. One that is finishing (no more additions) and one that you are filling.

Even with on-ground pile, making the 2nd pile makes you slap yourself silly for not doing it sooner, and having a third pile is a boon when you have a lot of ingredients and/or you don't have an immediate use for the finished compost.

Also, because the volume decreases, at some point it's more effective to be able to put half finished materials from two piles into one thermally efficient pile. So, yeah, I think 2 is better than 1 and 3 is even better. :wink:

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

You can't really stockpile high-nitrogen stuff like kitchen scraps without it getting funky. If you layer leaves with the regular additions of kitchen scraps in your 'holding bin', what you have is now a well-balanced compost bin!

mattie g
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:So what is your "holding bin" like? I'm thinking it is not very aerated? If your stuff waiting for the tumbler had been in an open bin (think wire cage or something) with maybe some twiggy stuff in it, to help keep it from packing down, it would be well on the way to being compost by now, even without the tumbler and it would not stink.

I muck around in my compost pile several times a year, turning it over. Take all the stuff from the top of the pile to be the bottom of a new pile, down to where it is almost finished. Sometimes it is easiest just to do that with my hands. It may be a bit gooey and messy, but none of it stinks.
The holding bin is a 20-odd-gallon keg tub. I realize it's not ideal, but it works pretty well. Besides, even though the wife came up with the idea of composting, I don't think she'd be too thrilled with my having an open compost pile/bin in our back yard!

By the time the combination of browns and greens in the tumbler starts to break down well, the smell starts to go away. The issue is getting the rank stuff from the holding bin into the tumbler. And believe me...it's even worse in the summer. :eek: As most of you know, a tumbler is a batch composter, so adding stuff willy-nilly doesn't really suit quick composting. So adding everything together at once is the best way to approach it ...even if that means I have to put a facemask on to do it.

Maybe having this tumbler will be a way I can slowly work towards having a true compost pile later by convincing my wife it's a good idea. But if not, it still does a reasonable job in providing enough compost for my small garden.

By the way...I opened the tumbler yesterday after work - it was sizzling and had a nice amount of steam coming out of it. Smell had already begun to dissipate, too. I really think this one's going to be a good 'un.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What would be your wife's objection to having a caged compost pile? Unlike your keg of unmixed greens, the compost pile would have no smell. It doesn't take up a lot of room, it can be as attractive as you care to put energy in to making it.

mattie g
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:What would be your wife's objection to having a caged compost pile? Unlike your keg of unmixed greens, the compost pile would have no smell. It doesn't take up a lot of room, it can be as attractive as you care to put energy in to making it.
Good question. I'm just not sure I want to ask. :lol:

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Drill a few holes in the bottom of that tub for drainage, and when you put stuff into it for holding, simply layer some leaves or other browns with it. It will not stink and you will get compost faster in the end.

mattie g
Green Thumb

toxcrusadr wrote:Drill a few holes in the bottom of that tub for drainage, and when you put stuff into it for holding, simply layer some leaves or other browns with it. It will not stink and you will get compost faster in the end.
I think I'll do just that. I'm going to look into building a wire mesh bin that isn't an eyesore, but I'll keep going with the holding tub in the meantime.

applestar
Mod

You might also want to look into bokashi.

Return to “Composting Forum”