Susan W
Greener Thumb

Bunny Bedding

I have a question on bunny bedding (straw) and pooh, asking for a friend......

As it happens the g-son's pre-school is adopting a g pig or a bunny. They have both now, and making a choice, vote by kids. This AM when doing the drop-off, suggest perhaps they could put the bedding in the compost. I am thinking it would be OK for whichever furry pet they adopt, but checking with some of you far more knowledgeable than I am.

Of course I could offer to take the bedding off their hands a couple times/week, but then would be relegated to cage cleaning duties!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I have used both, composted.

Very similar *um* end product.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

For a year or so (2009?), I went to the local House Rabbit Society and picked up timothy hay + "end products" and put the whole lot into my composter. The poo disappeared quickly, but the timothy hay took Forever and A Day. :x Somewhere on this forum, it's in my list of Things that Take a Long Time to Decompose.

If the kids are using actual bunny litter rather than timothy hay, you'll probably have great success with composting it. I think guinea-pig bedding is more like wood shavings, maybe? That should also compost more quickly than the timothy hay did, from what I've read (no personal experience w/guinea pigs).

Take it and run!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for comments. I forgot to mention the bedding in both cages looked like plain ol' straw. That may take awhile to break down, but that's OK too.

brinboise

From a longtime guinea pig(s) farmer, I use a commercial bedding that is wood pulp waste....goes straight to the composter when cleaning the cage.
btw I do take the pig out of the cage when dumping it....wife checks :)

Return to “Composting Forum”