gardener72
Newly Registered

Year old manure mixed with fresh manure... mistake?

I am new to the vegetable gardening world. I had a good start last year with no soil fertilizer or any kind of soil amendments. So I was talking to a farmer friend who said put some cow manure in your garden and watch it grow. So he delivered 5 bobcat buckets full of mostly aged manure but it definitely had some fresh manure mixed it. We spread it over the garden about one inch thick. Then we mixed it in to the soil with the bobcat. Knowing there is about 30% fresh manure in the mix will it be safe to have a vegetable garden this year. I certainly hope so. I have 210 seedlings already sprouting.

imafan26
Mod

The standard is 120 days from application of fresh manure to harvest.

https://www.extension.org/pages/17483/ma ... able-crops

applestar
Mod

Wow I'm not familiar with this, but it sounds like it may depend on where you are located -- what the temperatures are like and when you will be planting what -- and what you had intended to plant.

Use of nitrogen-rich fertilizer like manure should really also depend on what you are growing. But other gardeners who regularly use manure as soil amendment and fertilizer would have a better idea about that.

120 days from now is early August.... Late maturing potatoes planted now won't be ready to harvest until early to mid August, but thats cutting it close especially for root crops. Some later maturing tomatoes and slower growing hot peppers when planted in early May, won't be ready to harvest until late July early August. Winter squashes and pumpkins sown in late May are definitely later than that. Sweet potatoes planted in late May early June won't be ready to harvest until October.

LA47
Green Thumb

When I first started gardening I used to buy a 3 yard dumptruck (delivered for $20...that's how long ago!) of manure from farmers and I'm sure there was some fresh mixed into it. I was a new gardener then (no computers then, just the old couple next door to teach me) so I spread it out all over the garden, tilled and planted my seeds. Everything grew very well. This isn't saying everything will be okay but if you till it in and water it really good before you plant, it will probably be fine.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I'd go ahead, and chalk it up to experience. I think a lot of people put manure on in the fall, so it doesn't matter, or make sure you're getting aged manure in the spring.

I'd be a little leery of lettuce since it's a fast growing crop, close to the ground and you eat the leaves. But there are things you can do. Mulch around plants to keep mud from splashing up, and wash things well before eating. JMHO.

Return to “Composting Forum”