bowhuntaz

Worm composting and green horse manure...

Gang, I'm doing my research on worm composting, mainly to ensure I have the most broad understanding of what works and what doesn't in the game of worm composting, so I know what I can and can't do.
I have ample supplies of green horse and goat manure, vegetable wastes, and hay shake (the loose stuff that falls off the bales when moving them around).
I'm pretty sure that the goat manure with shavings is fine, but I'm not so sure about the green horse manure or the hay (alfalfa) shake.
I'm thinking that I may have to dry out the manure before adding it into the worm bins, but since I have zero experience in this, I figured I had best ask.
The hay shake, in moderation, I would think fine as well, to avoid it heating up in the bins.
Your thoughts and experiences are very much welcome!
My goal here is a happy worm casting farm that feeds my organic gardens which feeds my family, animals, and the worms....all in a happy circle.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Manure and the comparatively small size of some intentionally built vermi-compost tubs don't seem (to me) to blend that well.

If the bottom of your manure-fired vermicomposter is open or built on top of pavers and at least four foot, by four foot. Then I might have hopes for it. Smaller and tighter and IMO it will hold too much moisture, and will cook and become anoxic.

I'd still recommend going long on browns and short on poop. The worms will do your work just fine with a rich supply of carbon and a short supply of nitrogen.

Front loading nitrogen rich material will not make the end result come out richer for the addition.

bowhuntaz

Tomc, thanks for the insight!
The horse manure apparently would be too much, but the goat stuff with shavings sounds to me to be ok.
That's just dandy too, as I'll build piles to hot compost instead.
Gotta have balance, right?
I have so many easy sources for compostable materials that it boggles my mind.
There's our own critters, the neighbors critters, and numerous others nearby that make more manure than they know what to do with.
It's mostly horses, but also goats, llamas, chickens, cows, and there's even a couple of emus one lady has.
Sources for vegetable waste besides what we produce are also plentiful, with many restaurants, grocery stores, and farmers markets close by.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! Sounds like if you had the time and space, you could become a commercial composting operation. Get a bunch of free wastes and let them sit for a year, sell it off for $5 a bag. Nice little side line!

bowhuntaz

rainbowgardener wrote:Wow! Sounds like if you had the time and space, you could become a commercial composting operation. Get a bunch of free wastes and let them sit for a year, sell it off for $5 a bag. Nice little side line!
Actually, I probably could, given that we'll have ten acres to play on in about a month, when we move into our new place.
However, I really just want to make enough for our own use and a little for a couple friends that let me borrow heavy equipment from time to time that also like to garden a bit.

I don't think it would take an outrageous amount of space or time, , just a few hours each weekend with a tractor to turn piles.
Biggest issue is keeping them small enough they don't burn on me.
Sure would make the place green in a hurry though!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Your toughest bit will be southwestern heat.

I'm not sure how to recommend a work-around.

bowhuntaz

Nah, not the heat, the inherent dryness....and the obnoxious winds coming across the prairie where we live.
Today, 45mph winds, gusts to 60. Not all that uncommon around here, unfortunately.
If it's not nailed down, bolted on, or set in concrete, it'll be in the next county in short order.

Even so, pallet gardening is part of the plan, to double as a wind break as well as vertical gardens for greens and herbs.
Irrigation is pretty much mandatory if you want any success in the garden, on a timer, so it can run 3x a day, early morning, mid afternoon, and early evening.
Would be same for worm bins if I kept them outside.
Just not as long, and they'd be shaded.

Return to “Composting Forum”