ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Cured horse manure

:clap:

Spent the day with baby sis and her husband and all of the usual mob. Sis and brother-in-law raise quarter horses. So of course I can get all the horse manure I need but in the past I had to shovel it into the trailer. :cry: Can't do that kind of stuff any more. Any way, the good news is that last year Sis got a front end loader for her tractor! She has a huge pile of cured, composted manure and another pile of fresh. SOOO as soon as the rain stops I will take the trailer out to the farm and get some of both. I want the composted manure to put around my trees and some of both for my compost bins. Used up all of my compost and want to kick start my new batch.

She made me laugh. Lots of her MG friends have been going out to the farm for composted manure. One of her friends showed up in a 1 year old Tahoe. The seats were all folded down and covered with a tarp. J asked if she had lost her mind. Her friend said "No. I told my husband I wanted a truck and this is what he bought so this is my truck - lets load it up!"

BTW - I still like adding rabbit manure.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

The stables near my house in City Park are run by the local Police Department's mounted division. They have tons of waste from the 40 or so stalls daily and they pile it on the property about 2 blocks from the stalls.

In order for me to get the old, well cured stuff is a chore since they pile the newer stuff next to the road and the older stuff is about 50 yards on the other side of it. I'd love to get their front end loader in there for a couple hours and make about 3 or 4 big truck loads to the house of the older stuff.

Oh, and I like you sister's friend's attitude. Load that baby up. That reminded me of my next door neighbor 2 summers ago. She has been watching my garden for years and finally decided to put a small patch in her yard. I lent her my tiller to turn the ground and she made a perimeter patch around her entire yard that was about 3 ft wide next to the fence and about 75 ft. long. A couple days later she shows up with a dozen or so 5 gallon buckets of well composted manure she got from a stable near her office. She did like that lady and folded down the seats in her older Volvo wagon, put plastic down and carried the buckets home. Funny thing is, her husband has a pick-up truck.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Gumbo. They won't let you use the loader or do it for you? Try bribery. Bring a bunch of your lovely vegetables and promise to bring more. Bet you can get them to load you up. Bring an attractive female with you - wife, girlfriend, friend, stranger - doesn't matter. Even at 60 years old I can get men do do things for me with a smile and honey in my voice. You know what I mean. Hand on hip, a little swagger, some "darlins" and "honey" got it nailed. LOVE living in the south. Chivalry is not dead.

Get creative and I bet you can get the good manure loaded for you. No shovel work involved.

OOPS - probably p***** someone off. Sorry guys and gals but you do what you do to get things done.

Gumbo knows exactly what I am taking about.

erins327

So I currently ride at a stable that has about 50 horses.....more poop than I certainly know what to do with!

I take it home 10 gallons at a time in the back of my car and throw it in the compost pile. That, with some leftover piled leaves, boy that sucker gets HOT! :D

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Definitely need Sis's manure. Used the last of my compost this AM. Moving my herbs out of pots and into a small herb bed.

Return to “Composting Forum”