FriedGreenTomatoes
Cool Member

extras

Just curious if anyone ever grows their extra crops just for compost. ( Just plant them any where ( away from garden) then pull them up and toss in compost)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, don't have space enough to grow things just for the compost pile. But I will admit to letting weeds stay a little longer and not working on totally eradicating them (including grass) out of flower beds, so that I will have more/ bigger weeds/grass for the compost.

imafan26
Mod

I too have a small garden and not much room for extras. I have grown some green manure crops, buckwheat and cowpeas.

Sometimes I miss calculate and plant more than I can use, or too many things mature at the same time and I can't use them all fast enough.

I will let some of the vegetables and herbs like Gai Choi cabbage, beans (the ones I missed), tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, cutting celery, sesame, safflower, and basil mature to collect their seeds.

I will either feed the residues to the worms or work them into the soil before planting again.

The plants that showed signs of disease, I just trash. I don't have a compost pile. It takes up too much space and attracts too much vermin.

I allow the grass clippings to stay in place on the grass. That way I don't have to feed the grass very much and it recycles the nutrients back where they came from. I have minimal lawn anyway.

The rest of the yard is mostly weeds, they get trashed. I tried to compost them, but without bag composting, they survived and continued to grow and spread.

*dim*
Cool Member

I'm fortunate that I landscape and maintain a pub garden, so I get as much greens (vegetable peels etc), as I need, and whenever I need

I have only recently started composting, and have 2 large bins now (one that is full, and one that is 3/4 full) ...

I bought bags of Shetland pony manure and added that to both bins so as to supply extra cabon (the pony manure has loads of hay) ... the 1st will be ready (hopefully by july/august), and the 2nd bin will be for spring next year ...

I have also added some coffee grinds (which I get fo free from a coffee shop), and have added volcanic rock dust and bat guano to both bins aswell

I'm hoping to use some of the compost to brew AACT ...

so, my advice is: get friendly with a local restaurant or pub, and ask them to give you some vegetable/fruit peels for your bins ... you will be shocked to see how much is thrown away on a daily basis
Last edited by *dim* on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Glad you brought up the subject. Between the mulched leaves and grass clipping from the yard, the rabbit manure that I get free and kitchen scraps I usually have more than enough. This year I have nearly depleted my compost using it not only in the garden but in LOTS of potted plants. The leaves, grass clippings and manure are handy but it will take a while to get enough kitchen scraps. Just yesterday I was shopping at my locally owned produce market and just on a whim I asked if I could have their trimmings. The answer was a resounding YES. They manager offered boxes of trimmings right then. Since I was in my car and not G's truck I had to pass but will go back later this week. Free kick start for the compost.

Good idea about coffee shops. But I would not want too much. While on the subject of free stuff last fall I was at a local produce market that buys, shells and sells pecans. I got a couple of 5 gallon buckets of pecan shells. Adds wonderful to grilled foods.

FriedGreenTomatoes
Cool Member

I worked at a deli/ coffee shop for a few years, and was lucky to bring home scraps. My bosses wife also composted, so we would take turns bringing home a 5 gal bucket full of scraps. That was awesome :)

This morning I went grocery shopping, and was just thinking about asking for their bad produce. Like you Eli B, I had my car and no room for it. Next time I'm definitely going to ask!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

You don't even need to bring a containner because they have boxes. what a deal.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Some grocery store produce managers will look at you funny and say not only no, but he!! no. This is because they are concerned about liability, should someone try to eat what they intended to discard as inedible. Some chain stores will have corporate policies on this, that even the store manager is powerless to change. Absolutely ask them and try to change their minds if they say no, but you should know what you're potentially up against.

FriedGreenTomatoes
Cool Member

I guess ( like me ) if your in a small town it wouldn't be a big deal because you know almost everyone. But in bigger cities I can see how someone would think it was an odd request.

PenPalAnna

I have thought about growing white clover in pots over the winter to add to my pile, but I have yet to do it. It's on the to-do list though. :P

imafan26
Mod

Starbucks will always save coffee grinds for people who ask. There are many takers so there may be a line.

Return to “Composting Forum”