aaradyn

Inheriting a compost pile

Hi! So I just moved in to a house and the woman who lived here before started a compost pile in a plastic enclosure. I don't know what's gone in there, and it's only about 1/3 full at the moment. I have a composting bin that I use to collect my veggie and fruit scraps (a housewarming gift from my boyfriend - he's wonderful!) so I'm excited to get this composting up and running here.

I know nothing has been done to it in over three years. What do I need to do to jumpstart this pile?

Thank you!!!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Lucky you. Just start adding to it. Mulched leaves, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, rabbit manure. Query local rabbit breeders and they will be glad for you to pick up the poop. I like it because you can use it fresh. Sounds like what you have is cured compost so turn the new stuff in and water..

Congrats on your new home.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If that pile has been there 3 years, it's beyond 'done' and should be used right away. Start another pile, and if you find any sticks or other chunks in the old pile, toss them into the new one. Compost is best used as soon as it's compost.

applestar
Mod

The sticks, etc and a shovelful of the old compost will help to inoculate the new one. :D

aaradyn

I have plenty to start adding to it - unfortunately the snow is keeping me out of the garden today. I haven't poked around the enclosure enough to know how it opens, so I'm not really sure how I'm going to get in there to turn it. If all else fails the opening at the top is pretty big so I can do a pitch fork from the top. (not all that great, I know, but it's better than not turning it at all right?)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

You won't be the first person to crawl on top of a pile with a fork and shovel into a wheelbarrow.

Pitch sticks and brushy bits to one side, for a second at-bat.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

IDK about you but turning my compost is difficult for me. Once you dig out from the snow if the front of the bin is too high for you to shovel cut it down. The front of my bins are about 18" tall - the sides and back are 4'.

aaradyn

well I'm 6' tall so I don't think the height will be too much of a problem and there are some funky ordinances around here about exposed trash cans so I think the compost bin has to be totally enclosed. At least one of the sides should open (or I can make it open... it's just plastic) so it's just a matter of getting out there and fussing with it.

I am really excited about having a compost pile now!!! I've lived in apartments and rental places up till now and I'm so excited about having a yard where I can ACTUALLY plant things and plan for the next couple years. So fun!!!!

applestar
Mod

If you post the brand of the bin or a picture, one of us is bound to know how it opens.

Mine has a pair of plastic pieces with slots on opposite sides that edges of the two halves slide into to hold them together.

Some bins are meant to be lifted off and then set up NEXT to the previous location.

aaradyn

I'll post pics when I can. :)

Return to “Composting Forum”