Gardener123
Green Thumb

Compost starter name?

I watched a video on youtube, but can't fond it now.... but the guy - who had like 2000 videos, LOL - said that he always adds, and this is what I need help with.... Amzaole, Azamole? Something like that? He had it in what looked like a 40 pound bag.

Do I need that, or just any old compost starter that I can get most anywhere?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I have a bag of azomite, but I would *never* think of throwing it into my compost.

Azomite is a mineral supplement, best used in the planting medium for the plants. A very little goes a l-o-n-g way. I may have used half a tablespoon in a 5-gallon bucket when planting small tomato plants last year. (One per bucket!)

But it's not a compost starter or additive or ingredient or anything like that. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Azomite.... yes, and thanks.

applestar
Mod

Do you remember the reason the guy adds azomite?

I could see the minerals as micronutrient for the microbes, but I suppose only in a small amount. More likey to add with other soil amendments at time of application.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But I agree with others that you don't need any compost starter. I occasionally throw in a handful of native soil or compost and worms from the previous compost pile, just to be sure it is inoculated with microbes, but I doubt that is necessary either, just makes me feel like I am doing something. :) But I never purchase anything just for the compost pile.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

growingyourgreens is the guy and here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wltDnYKVE4

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gardener123
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Do you remember the reason the guy adds azomite?

I could see the minerals as micronutrient for the microbes, but I suppose only in a small amount. More likey to add with other soil amendments at time of application.
I just watched the video again... at 6:00 into the video he says "It supercharges your compost with trace minerals"... or something to that effect.

applestar
Mod

So certain amount of micronutrients should help the compost organisms thrive, right? I also sometimes add some greensand, phosphate rock, etc. to the compost pile but like tossing in a handful on a whim while mixing up a potting mix or when taking them out to the garden bed to use. Most of the macro and micronutes should come from other compost ingredients and adding a wide variety/selection of ingredients is always a good idea.

My understanding is that you might add more trace minerals/micronutrients at time of application in combination with the compost and other fertilizers to feed the plants long term as they slowly break down in the soil. Azomite and other non-trademarked rock dust, though, are supposed to be quickly absorbed by the plants due to their finely pulverized texture.

- Will the volume of trace minerals increase along with the proliferating microorganisms if added to the compost?
- Some minerals can be toxic in quantity especially to the itty bitty microbes.
- Also, a certain amount of nutrients in the compost pile can be lost due to leaching.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I pee on mine. :wink:

KISS (keep it simple silly)

rot
Greener Thumb

I spell compost accelerator: pee.

I guess I just had to add that to the pile.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Compost has a lot of micronutrients in it already, especially if you add a variety of materials to the pile. Tests prove it. Not having used Azomite, I can't comment directly on whether it would provide additional improvement, but if you're using compost, generally, IMHO you don't need mineral supplements. Besides anything like that should be preceded by a soil test to find out your actual conditions.

Return to “Composting Forum”