nubiegardener
Newly Registered

Is this cow manure fully composted?

Hey everyone, a friend gave me some cow manure. He told me it was aged, but didn't say how long. I've never seen composted cow manure, so I'm clueless as to how the texture and smell are suppose to be. Some bits smell like soil, but some have a slight stench of manure. Is this safe to incorporate into my raised vegetable bed I'm attempting to get started? It would only be 1/5th of my soilless mixture,as I'll also be using composted cotton burr, bagged composted manure, peat and vermiculite

If not, I was planning on mixing it with half finished municipal compost (mostly leaves) in a garbage bin filled with holes to complete the composting process. Wise idea? Any help would be appreciated by this new gardener! Thanks

estorms

I think you are good to go either way. If the manure was fresh it would have a stronger smell. If it looks like dirt, it is composted.

nubiegardener
Newly Registered

estorms wrote:I think you are good to go either way. If the manure was fresh it would have a stronger smell. If it looks like dirt, it is composted.
it looks like dirt/ poo lol.Can you tell in the picture whether it looks like soil?

Return to “Composting Forum”