Happy Days

Some questions about Bokashi composting

I started and then had to stop due to circumstances beyond my control. I'm now getting back to it. One question I have is how long the accelerator/inoculant remains good or viable. I see no "expiration date" on what I have.

Additionally, in your experience, how quickly do bones decompose ... or ferment, as the case may be? (pork rib bones, chicken carcass)

haname

Is your accelerant in the form of bran? It should still be fine if it has been kept dry.

In my experience, bones ferment right along with the rest of the material. The decomposition is much faster once it's in the soil than non fermented bones. Chicken bones become quite crumbly after one season. Even steak bones get softer and eventually the soil critters use them. They might take 2-3 seasons. I don't know about larger bones like those from a roast. Plant roots seek out and attach themselves to the bones too.

Happy Days

Thank you. Yes, it is in bran form and still dry. :D

I was also glad to hear about the bone fermentation timeline. That's very good. That is one of the things that first attracted me to the Bokashi method - the ability (or so I understand) to toss just about anything into the mix.

Return to “Composting Forum”