imafan26
Mod

what to feed the worms

Hi
I have been vermicomposting for about a year. I have made a lot of mistakes like not keeping my media wet enough and nearly drowning the worms. I have overfed them to the point of smelling all that amonia, and underfed them so that I have to replace the newspaper every three weeks, I even thought they were dead, but somehow they still survived.

I know not to feed them citrus peels and papaya seeds. I do give them kale and swiss chard leaves as well as vegetable peelings. I don't put that much fruit in the bin except for banana peels because I don't like to attract fruit flies.

What else can I give them? Can i give them weeds and ornamental plant leaves? Someone told me I can give them cooked rice and vegetables.
What about cottage cheese?

They seem to take a lot longer digesting potato peels and the hard parts of the chard and kale. I usually just fish that out. They also do not seem to like onion peels and leaves either. I do not add eggshells until the vermicast is collected. :roll:
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Right that they don't like onion and garlic. They also don't like really hard stuff, so things like apples, carrots work better either chopped fine or cooked a bit. Left over cereal and cooked rice works.

I give mine pulverized egg shells, coffee grounds, with the filter (torn in pieces), used tea bags, most veggie scraps. I haven't tried weeds/ plant leaves, but I don't see why not. The worms would certainly eat that stuff in compost pile. Maybe next time I trim the houseplants, I will put some in.

Don't know about dairy. I do put things like strawberry tops and apple cores in, just buried deeply to avoid attracting flies.

I put lots of fall leaves in mine and they seem to go through that pretty quickly, leaving all the hard leaf stems behind.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

imafan26
Mod

Thanks Rainbow, the cottage cheese may not be such a good idea. I just hate wasting it. It is a bit salty so that might not be so good for the worms either.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Composting Forum”