ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Compost smells SOO good!

My compost bins have been ignored. Too much rain and too cold. Now the rain has stopped and the temps are in the 60's. I brought a bag of kitchen scraps out to the bin. Yuck. Bermuda grass and dollar weed growing along the front of the bins. The compost is so loose and fryable that pulling the weeds was no problem. The fresh, clean, earthy smell of the compost made me wish I were a plant. How can you describe that wonderful frangrance? I scooped some into my hands and just breathed in the earthy freshness. Fresh compost speaks to me. It says spring is coming. Your herbs and vegetables will be very happy growing in me. You will be happy working me into your garden and pots.

Sigh - I just love the smell of fresh compost.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh yes.... I think compost is how I became a gardener! I started composting just because I was an environmentalist, recycling everything and trying not to waste anything (this was in the 1970's when recycling was not easy!). I figured out that composting was a way not to add kitchen scraps and yard waste to the waste stream, so started my first compost pile.

I was so taken with the miracle of composting and how you could put garbage in a pile and it would turn itself in to wonderful dark, earthy smelling humus. So then I had to start a garden to have something to do with the compost!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

The most wonderful thing to do in the garden is sift finished compost through chicken wire and make a wheelbarrow of fluffy, earthy smelling treasure. If I was a dog, I would roll in it. :lol:

Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

Surely dogs have no monopoly on rolling ;)

Return to “Composting Forum”