The Natural
Cool Member

White fuzz Growing in worm box.

I started a vermicompost bin about a month ago, been watching moisture everything seemed good. I have a few pieces of cardboard sticking out from the dirt, that is about the only thing ive seen the white fuzz growing off of. Is this part of the breakdown?? Or should I scrap the whole substrate,gather my worms, decontaminate? restart? I don't know lol :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

White fuzz is some kind of mold. It probably is a sign that things are staying too damp. Do you have enough air holes in your worm bin? Have you been adding water or wet stuff?

I don't think you need to scrap everything. Just add some more dry stuff and mix/ aerate well.

The worm bin wants to stay just barely damp, not wet. It should have holes on the sides for aeration and holes on the bottom for drainage. My worm bin sits over a tray to catch the leachate that drains out, which can be used for your plants, it also has nutrients.

The Natural
Cool Member

You probably hit the nail right on the head. Just recently had a major downpour across louisiana. Seemed like a month of rain. Going too be relocating it from underneath my carport, guess I had some blow through rain. I may end up drilling a few airation holes through the side but the bottom is completly plastic mesh like a milkcrate is made.(had too put a little barrier made of plastic bags so they wouldnt just drop straight out the bin bottom.)The top doesnt seal real well its just a fold over lid.

Ill do like you said and add some more dryer matierial and relocated too a better spot.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Makes sense... I understand why you needed to keep the worms and everything from falling through the grid bottom, but does your plastic barrier still allow drainage? Maybe you need to put pinholes in the plastic?

The Natural
Cool Member

Yea I tested it for drainage before I even put the worms in. But I'm thinking about after a few months go bye, when I redo the bedding I will probably remove the plastic and make a window screen bottom for full drainage and airation. It was just a quick winter project that wasnt thought through.

InCaseOfZombies

Hello fellow vermicomposter. A little bit of mold is normal. I would not be to concerned about it unless it is taking over your entire bin. Mold is 1 of the key elements of vermicomposting. As you know the worms don't really break things down until they're already partially decayed.

What kind of worm bin do you have?

InCaseOfZombies

Hello fellow vermicomposter. A little bit of mold is normal. I would not be to concerned about it unless it is taking over your entire bin. Mold is 1 of the key elements of vermicomposting. As you know the worms don't really break things down until they're already partially decayed.

What kind of worm bin do you have?

The Natural
Cool Member

its a plastic shipping box/container, the ones with the double door top that folds together. Has a preferated plastic mesh bottom. Ill post a pic in a few. Thanks for replies!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've never seen any visible mold in my worm bin. It's a plastic tote with drain holes, but I keep it damp all the time.

Return to “Composting Forum”