Txpepper
Newly Registered

Things are a mess

We've been composting for a few years. We use one of the plastic compost bins from Lowe's. This year it's a mess. It won't get hot or even warm. It's full of flies and mosquitoes. How can we cure it? It's most oak leaves, grass clippings, and kitchen scraps, all vegitable or fruit. Open to ideas. I saw cotton meal and will try that. Problem may be lack of direct sun. We don't have a lot of that in our yard. :?

estorms

I would guess someone helped with the dishes and put some small bits of meat in your scrap bucket. I would take it out and put it in an out of the way spot to dry out, then start over and layer it with grass. If you have flies you know whats coming next. If it isn't too much dig a hole in your garden and bury it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It shouldn't matter too much about lack of direct sun, except that in the sun things would dry out more. It sounds like it has been staying too wet. Mosquitos only breed where there is water.

Does your bin take in rain water? Have you had a lot of rain? Is stuff you put in really wet?

Anyway, I agree it needs to dry out. Sounds like it may be too much greens, too much grass clippings and kitchen scraps compared to the leaves. And oak leaves don't break down very easily compared to some other fall leaves. I think if you mix in a bunch more leaves and/or shredded paper, other "browns" and turn it all well, it should normalize.

Txpepper
Newly Registered

Thanks to all for your help. The bin is very well sealed. The moisture comes from my wife thinking it needs water. Absolutly NO meat, or anything non vegatible. Probably is too much green. I have a whole acre of leaves if anyone needs any. In the Fort Worth, TX area. We'll spread it out and start over. Thanks again. Can you post photos if you have somethig you want diagnosed? The folks at Lowes or Home Depot haven't been much help. :D

mywebinfo

To bad about Lowe's or Home Depot, they are usually pretty good. Sounds like to me you needs some dirt in there. I agree with above, dig a hole, dump and start over. In the sun should not be a factor.

Flies and mosquitoes will lay eggs on organic matter, it does not take meat. These could have very well been introduced inside. It only takes one fly or mosquito to get things started, but the heat would have killed so the fact that you do not have heat is what is leading to the problem. Things are not composting which means you do not have the microbes you need. Those can usually come from your garden soil. I am surprised they did not ride in on your leaves. If you have not added soil, that is probably it.

Recipes for compost are one part organic matter, one part soil.
So leaves, soil, kitchen scraps, soil.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Soil is not necessary at all for making compost. It does not hurt to add some, because there are microbes that will help inoculate the pile, but it does not have any organic matter to contribute. In fact, too much soil will make it more difficult for air to penetrate, and if you are trying to make hot compost, it sucks heat without adding anything.

Your bin is probably too small to get very hot. It can, if you make up a single batch of properly balanced materials and fill it all at once. It will heat for a few days. But adding kitchen scraps here and there over time is a cold composting process. That's OK, you'll still get compost, but you have to get the green/brown mix and the moisture content balanced.

Watering should only be done when you know the pile is dry INSIDE, not by looking at the outside. Stick a fork in it to check before watering.

I would remove the bin (if it comes apart in halves, that's easy), set it up next to your pile, and turn the pile into it, layering in more dry and brown material (dry leaves, shredded paper, wood shavings or sawdust, etc.). This will aerate and mix it, dry it out and absorb the moisture and odors. In a couple months you will have compost.

Or, spread or dig into the garden as suggested above and start a new batch.

Happy composting!

imafan26
Mod

I agree. It sounds like the bin is too wet. Clean it out and start over. If it isn't heating up, then your ratios might be off between greens and browns. Normally a shovel full of compost will activate the pile but you could just use a compost activator to get it started again.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Yeah -your bin is too wet. G made bins for me from scrap lumber and chicken wire. 2 each 4'x4'x4'. I add rabbit manure to my bins to heat them up. I did a simple query for rabbit breeders in Lafayette, La. found several who are more than happy to have me show up with my shovel and 5 gallon buckets.

Good luck. Hope you resolve you issues.

Return to “Composting Forum”