DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Looking good. Will you be trying the fresh "spent brewers mash" soil mentioned to attract BSFs? I believe you'll have some at some point.
Not in the four worm troughs, but may start a BSF colony bug barracks. :)

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I never have to worry about "attracting" BSF's! They are always present in my compost pile AND my indoor worm bin. You might have to attract them if you really wanted big numbers of them, like wanted them to be the main digester of your "stuff."

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Melon attracts BSFs quicker than anything. It must be the sugar that attracts them.

One time I did an experement. I cut the melon into lots of 2" pieces and sprinkled them over the top of my compost plus 1 cup of white sugar that I converted to Fructose sugar by boiling it is water with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Compost was 45" diameter 38" deep. 2 days later compost was 45" diameter 14" deep. My compost was in the shade under a tree. It was amazing, sorta like having 6 months of composting done in 2 days. Only problem the compost was wet and looked like black mud, it did not rain on it and I did not add water. I took me 2 weeks to till that blob of mud into the garden soil.

BorealWormer
Newly Registered

Gary350 wrote:... Only problem the compost was wet and looked like black mud, it did not rain on it and I did not add water. I took me 2 weeks to till that blob of mud into the garden soil.
BSFL do shred things quickly releasing all the contained water in a rush. Drainage can be a problem and purpose built BSFL bins often have filter/drainage systems.

Return to “Composting Forum”