Shaul
Newly Registered

What's Brewing?

So what's in the picture? Is it Aerated Compost Tea, Aerated Vermicompost Tea, or just aerated leachate? Because if it's aerated leachate, then you're making a Big Mistake in thinking it's the equivalent of properly prepared Aerated Vermicompost Tea. Leachate is just that, and that's all. Leachate is the liquid runoff from water and decaying organic matter in the bin. It has not been processed through the worm and does not have the magical properties that fresh castings do. Yes, some say that you can dilute the leachate and water your plants, but it is definitely not AVCT Aerated VermiCompost Tea. Why cheat yourself?

Shaul

applestar
Mod

Ok. LOL. I'm a much more cavalier style gardener, so I don't follow the usual detailed steps. I stick whole dry toilet paper tubes in the bottom for their bedding and lay layers of collapsed cake boxes on top as insulating cover instead of towels or coir mats, stuff carrot peelings wrapped in paper towels and sprinkled with coffee grounds or bokashi in a big lump under the cover, then dump cooled veg steaming and blanching (no salt) water over them all to wet them down.

Of course I hear a good portion of the water dripping through down into the catch tray, so I have to drain the tray, and -- no surprise! -- I end up with 2 quarts of rich colored "leacheate".

So what am I to do? It's too rich to use directly, so I dump it in the 5 gallon bucket and add two 2 gal buckets of de-chlorinated water to dilute, but I don't have time to water my plants right away, so to keep the water from stagnating, I used the AACT aerating set up. :wink:

This is just a monthly regular watering with a little extra. I won't be thinking of seriously enriching/fertilizing until at least end of Jan... More like mid Feb when the plants start to really feel the lengthening daylight and start their first flush of spring growth. I'll probably give this primarily to the tropicals, citruses, and indoor tomatoes and peppers -- these are the ones that are continuing to grow. :mrgreen:

:lol: This is why I usually don't post "how-to" about vermicomposting. I'm sure there are more ideal methodology :roll:

PenPalAnna

I have a bunny and we use the pine pellets for his bedding. Could I put that into my worm bin or is this better left to the compost pile? Also I don't think we have a bait shop around here where is the best place to order worms?

Shaul
Newly Registered

AS;

Sorry for coming on too strong, :oops: sometimes I get a bit carried away in my own fervor. What you describe sounds good and I would probably be doing something similar if I was in your situation. What I would suggest is using the leachate only on flowers and ornamentals and saving the AVCT for Fruits and Vegetables. You speak about adding Bokashi to your Worms. I would like to hear more about it. I just started my first bucket and while I know the process, I'm sure I can gain much from others personal experience.

Shaul

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I also use my worm bin leachate for watering plants with. I just suck it out of the drip tray with a turkey baster and put it in the watering can and add water. I may not be diluting it quite as much as applestar, something like roughly 1 part leachate to 4 parts water. I just use it right away, so don't bother aerating.

I know it is not worm casting tea, but it is enriched organic stuff. I have to get it out of the tray anyway, so the tray doesn't overflow. So why not put it on my plants? Right now it is just house plants. Later it will be my indoor seedlings.

PenPalAnna - You are more likely to get answers to your questions if you start your own thread with them.

InCaseOfZombies

I've got a Worm Factory 360 with about 2500 Red Wigglers and 1000 Super Reds. I feed them everything except Citrus and Meats. They seem to enjoy carrots and fruit a great deal. I help them out by microwaving everything prior to giving it to them. This breaks down the cell walls and starts immediate decomposition so it doesn't sit there in the top tray for weeks on end looking the same.

I agree with whoever mentioned the card board. They absolutely LOVE IT. Cardboard is much better for them than shredded paper as it has more nutrients. Paper will be eaten too, but doesn't do much good for them. I get a lot of shipments from Amazon. Every single box is cut up into pieces and then shredded. The capacity is 20 sheets so it doesn't jam. This, along with coconut coir is their favorite bedding/snack. I layer the microwaved fruits and veggies with the shredded cardboard and coconut coir.

I also take used egg shells, wash them, dry them, then pulverize into powder in a food processor. The calcium is great for them and gives them some grit to use in their gizzards. If you are worried about fruit flies, just bury your fruit scraps. The flies aren't adventurous enough to dig into dirt to get at it. Plus, burying things will help oxygenate your existing pile.

Here's a pic of my set up and close up of my warriors:

dogdayz21

Got any recommendations of where to buy worms? I'm wanting to start a worm bin and want to do it right the first time :D

dogdayz21

Got any recommendations of where to buy worms? I'm wanting to start a worm bin and want to do it right the first time :D

InCaseOfZombies

dogdayz21 wrote:Got any recommendations of where to buy worms? I'm wanting to start a worm bin and want to do it right the first time :D
Well there's uncle jim's but it's kind of pricey. They've got a variety of different kinds. Red Wigglers and larger Super Worms. For composting, red wigglers are the way to go. I've ordered from them in the past, but like I said they are a bit pricey and they only ship on mondays. So depending on when you order, you might be waiting more than a week to receive your order.

https://unclejimswormfarm.com

Here's where I got mine recently: https://gardeningzone.com/products/earth ... -soil-care

They only have red wigglers but price is much easier on the wallet. Speedy service and would recommend them over Uncle Jims.

Return to “Composting Forum”