pomme8916

How many days does it take for a compost pile to heat up?

Are we talkiing months, days?

please help.

thanks

pixelphoto

No one can tell you a specific number of days because there are too many variables.
What you have in your compost pile and how much of each type of material and how big the piles it and what the outside temp is are play a big role in exactly when it will heat up.
I recommend a good combo or greens and browns add a little water as its been awful dry around my parts, moist but not soaking wet, turn over the pile a few times and let it sit and do its job. I normally on a good day have plenty of heat in three days sometimes more. Once again depends on the variables.
I would suggest buying a good compost thermometer that goes over 200 degrees F , and at least 16 inch probe to get good accurate readings.

a white rabbit

..wot 'e said..

..but if you pee on it daily it'l go faster..

..and if you add fresh horse muck, weeelll we're talking Mach 2.. 8)

Grey
Greener Thumb

OK, I had to LOL at peeing on a compost pile. I hadn't heard that before, but it makes sense. If you feel comfortable doing such a thing that is - contrary to popular opinion, urine is sterile and not really a contaminated waste product. I put the brakes on human manure tho. ;)

Most standard ways of heating up a compost pile is throwing greens on it - grass clippings, veggie scraps, etc. These heat up quickly, while your browns such as leaves and sticks tend to decompose very slowly.

a white rabbit

..layers of strong leguminous plant material, such as clover help to move things along...

..basically you really need an activator, preferably natural, to give the micro-life a start, and above all you should build your compost heap correctly, shredding any large items..

Grey
Greener Thumb

Agreed.

A good book on the subject is the Rodale Book of Composting. It helped me understand what ratios to use, and why my pile wasn't heating at all (yeah, it was all LEAVES!)

I've created 3 different compost piles lately. One is huge that holds leaves for 2 years or so to create leaf mold. The second holds some leaves, mixed with grass clippings, coffee grounds, and some kitchen waste as a "normal" pile. The third is a worm bin, with layers of shredded newspaper and chopped kitchen scraps, covered over with more newspaper, to get really awesome worm compost.

a white rabbit

..dunno about books..

..I just do what my dad taught me, and what his Yorkshire-allotement owning dad taught him..

..careful with the leaf-mold btw, it tends to acid..

Return to “Composting Forum”