gardenboy
Cool Member

I'm looking for rabbit manure

I'm an avid gardener now for 38 years here in south Florida. Always used chicken manure with mushroom compost. Have had great results so far. Was reading that rabbit manure might be a little better than chicken manure. Was wondering if anyone has access to any rabbit manure? I will pay for shipping and handling and whatever the rabbit manure cost. I would like to try it for my tomato plants. Thanks for any information you may have.
:lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you wanted to have a guinea pig for a pet anyway, you'd be surprised how much "manure" they produce. Put green pellets in one end and brown pellets come out the other end, but it seems like they have some magic process going on so that there are more of the brown ones than there were of the green ones. :)

Since the brown pellets get mixed in with bedding that has to be changed, the volume of material produced by one little guinea pig is quite amazing!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't know where in south Florida you are, but [url=https://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/hare.html]this[/url] is a link to the Miami chapter of the House Rabbit Society, a rescue organization for rabbits. They may be able to help you contact rabbit owners nearby.

Another potential source (I just lucked into some goat...ah..."sweepings" last week) of compost ingredients is Freecycle.org. Go to the website and do a zip-code search. Join a list or two near you. Watch the list for a few days and then, once you've seen the style of the group, post a "WANTED" announcement. You may be pleasantly surprised by the responses (or, sadly, you may live in a lagomorphic desert). Everything on Freecycle is free, so it won't cost anything! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gardenboy
Cool Member

Thanks for the links and information...will email some local breeder now and see what happens...Thanks!!!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

A friend of ours raised rabbits and put the manure on his strawberry plants. they absolutely flourished. Really produced too.
It's good stuff. :wink:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I wanted rabbit manure so I did a query for rabbits in Lafayette, La. I found several local breeders who were more than happy to have me fill my 5 gallon buckets with manure.

No need to order or ship.

LOL

Flowerhead

I can get rabbit manure from Craigslist!! It's pretty cheap - but, be aware....it can attract lots of flies......I had some get into my kitchen & it was tough getting rid of them all....It was a lesson for sure!

The Natural
Cool Member

If your near a field or near woodlands, just make a nice safe feeding area where the grass isnt too think and feed them. You throw a little cracked corn, rabbit food mix out eventually you will see them.

I use too feed the wild birds seeds throwing it all over my yard, after a while I seen little rabbit poo pellets all over lol. Not in large amounts but its a free way too watch wild life and get a little poo.

azmodane
Newly Registered

Another source for rabbit Manure surprising is rodent/rabbit breeders to be used as snake food. There are a lot of people here in Ohio that breed rabbits for larger snakes and just throw all their rabbit droppings away. I'm able to get it for free if I go on certain days and pick it up.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Chicken manure is very high in nitrogen but low in organic material unless it is mixed with some type of organic material.

Rabbit manure it much higher in organic material. It works great in my TN garden. I know a guy with a 30x60 building full of rabbits. He has so much manure the only way he can deal with it is give it away free to people that will come and shovel it out themself. When I was younger I use to get a heaping pickup truck load every summer probably 1000 lb. It seems to be pretty high in nitrogen too.

After I till my garden and mark the rows I put rabbit manure about 6" deep 12" wide down the center of each row then till it in. All the plants love it.

Corn is nitrogen hungry it never seems to get too much nitrogen.

Maybe you should raise your own rabbits just for the free manure. They love fresh cut grass. Mow the yard every day with a bag catcher mower you have free food. I'm not sure how much rabbits sell for these days lots of people eat them. When I was in high school my father raised rabbits in the fenced back yard there was no manure to pickup. Manure made grass grow faster and more food for the rabbits.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have been looking for rabbit manure on Craigslist and no luck. I had one lady contact me offering 3 free rabbits. I'd love to have them but no room, time, or energy for them.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Problem is people that raise animals live a pretty far from me too. I was looking through the Rabbit association website and found some lady only a town over. I sent her an email immediately. Hopefully she says come on down and get some. But I am worrying she might use it for her own garden, or maybe even sells it. If the price is reasonable I might pay.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Punk - keep loking locally for rabbit breeders. The are all over the place and love to get rid of their manure. Maybe try pet stores. They have rabbits and have to dispose of the poop. I can not imagine paying for rabbit manure.

Good luck

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I hit the jackpot. The lady got back to me and said she'd be more than happy to allow me to come and take a truckload. She did say that most of it is already composted and looks like dirt. She is really close by too, hopefully I can routinely stop by for truckloads whenever I need it.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

:clap:

The Natural
Cool Member

good find

Return to “Composting Forum”