toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

As Granny used to say, "To each his own, said Charles as he kissed the cow."

Personally, I think used organic-based cat litter is no more gross than chicken, cow or horse poop, which are lauded far and wide for their benefits to compost pile and garden.

I make a separate pile, though, for kitty, and it's not used in the vegetable garden, just to play it safe.
Tox

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Blah - just my opinopn. I use corn husk based litter and never put it in my compost. Even after careful scooping there is still waste residue. Just not my thing. I don't use any carnivorous products or by products in my compost bin.
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

estorms

Just let the cat out and it will head for the garden on it's own!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

estorms wrote:Just let the cat out and it will head for the garden on it's own!
and my two dogs chancing and scare the **** out of it. :shock:

Eric

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

At my house, sometimes the cat heads for the NEIGHBOR's garden, and that's when the trouble starts! My neighbor lady chewed my butt off this summer about my cat. I think she is not a cat person. At all. :oops: :D
Tox

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Eric - as usual you make me :lol:

I have a 15 month old Sallie Sue and a 9 month old Daisy Faye. I use a corn cob based clumping, low dust litter. All was well until 2 months ago when I had Crazy Daisy spayed. She stopped using her litter box :!:

Gross, disgusting, nauseating :evil:

She drove me nuts :!: I called my vet and he said to change her litter. Her box now has plain clay while Sallie Sue has the good stuff. Crazy Daisy Faye just did not like her litter.

Off the subject as usual - I do ramble on - I am with Eric - no cat litter in my compost bin.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

Our cat does his business outdoors only - and yes, I've caught him in the garden on more than one occasion - but, on the odd chance we've had to keep him inside for a couple days (if we're on holiday and the neighbour is feeding him, perhaps), I've taken his litter to the compost afterward. It never occurred to me that there was anything wrong with this, and I'm sure the one dumping of a relatively small bit of clay in the compost didn't hurt anything. Nevertheless, it's refreshing to be reminded that the things we don't know we don't know are always lurking.

LA47
Green Thumb

I feel bad saying this but I have trained my 10 pound dogs to chase off any cats in my yard. I do like cats but NOT when they use my gardens as a big kitty litter box! It has made for some unpleasant surprises when I'm weeding :shock: and I DON'T like that in my veggy garden at all. :evil:
High Altitude Gardener zone 4B or 5A

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

You certainly have a right not to have others' pets in your yard, especially pooping in your garden. I never thought much about this myself until someone complained, but they are right, I am responsible for my critter. Still trying to figure out what we're going to do next summer.

I'd say as long as you or your dogs are just chasing them off and not harming them, you have every right to do that.
Tox

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Last year I had a BIG argument with my back door neighbor about his obnoxious huge dogs. A lab and 2 pit bulls. The beast tore the botom off of our chain link fence and thought my back yard was theirs. I could not step out onto my patio without these beast threatening me. I did the whole 9 yards called 911 called animal control. The police and animal control were at his house 2 or 3 times a week. I was not the only neighbor threatened by his beast. Finally I got is attentiion. He was in his back yard when his dogs encroached on mine. I got my rifle out and told him that if I ever saw his dogs in my yard again they would be dead dogs. Problem solved. I have no issues with dogs. I am an animal lover. I do have an issue with irresponsible pet owners. He moved the dogs to some property he had in the country and repaired my fence.

I honestly feel sorry for his wife. Poor thing has been stressed by his beast and the police and animal control visits.

Oh my - Once again I am off track.

Do not - will not use cat litter in my compost.

estorms

The smell alone is enough to tell you it doesn't belong in the compost pile or your house.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Hmm, well if smell is the criteria, then virtually any manure must be unacceptable (at least in *your* compost). To each his own, but nature did intend for poop to be recycled. Whether that means it's OK to compost cat litter is up to the individual. I'm just defending the honor of all poop the world over. 8)
Tox

Return to “Composting Forum”