treehopper

If you're not already taking advantage of the ground next to your compost pile(s)...prime growing area, not to be overlooked.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

treehopper wrote:If you're not already taking advantage of the ground next to your compost pile(s)...prime growing area, not to be overlooked.
I think Bobberman brought this up in one of his post. The idea is to build compost piles around your garden, uphill from what you are trying to enrich.

My approach is cardboard and compost the garden aisle. The nutrients lost, leached out, feed the roots. Pull the weeds, leave them in the aisles.

Eric

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I move the location of bins and piles regularly so as to take advantage of the rich soil underneath. My garden has raised beds, and one of them is usually fallow each year, becoming a big compost pile for all the stuff that's generated during the growing season. The following spring the pile is removed and the bed is rarin' to go.

Halfway
Green Thumb

That's where all the snakes live.

8)

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Maybe YOU have snakes, but I don't see them very often. Besides, I like them, they're generally harmless and eat mice and other pests. When I see one I say hello, enjoy the beauty of the colors and scales, and let him go on his way. Snakes are cool.

Halfway
Green Thumb

toxcrusadr wrote: Besides, I like them, they're generally harmless and eat mice and other pests. When I see one I say hello, enjoy the beauty of the colors and scales, and let him go on his way. Snakes are cool.
Exact;y my point. 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

even if the grass in my and my neighbors yard is barron. The areas around and downill from my garden are normally lush and green. There is a lot of compost in my garden. Those nurtients wash out and everything around it loves it.

Even the weeds. :x

thepumpkin

Uh, looking at how ugly my compost bin looks right now I am not sure I want to grow stuff there :lol: Just kidding, moving the bin around sounds an excellent idea.
We are also doing something similar to toxcrusadr, we have kind-of a raised bed (long story) that currently composts grass. Hopefully in 1-2 years it will become a real fertile raised bed.

Return to “Composting Forum”