eric11210

Noticing seeds growing in my compost bucket?

Hi folks,

I started my first compost bucket just a few weeks ago. It happens where I am it's very hot and very humid so the temperature is right to make compost pretty fast. Anyway, today I was throwing away some peels from a papaya and decided to mix up the bucket a bit. I picked it up and when I looked closer, I noticed something that looks like seeds growing along the edges and on the lid of the bucket. They look about the size and shape of sesame seeds, but I've never put any such thing in the bucket. Are these insect eggs of some kind? Should I be worried?

I also noticed a bit of a smell from the bucket (which I read means that the mix is a bit off) and so I added more shredded newspaper (I understood that this is the thing to add since it's usually that the compost is too wet). Could the fact that it's off be attracting insects? I have not noticed anything (the bucket is in my kitchen since I live in a third floor apartment and keep a small garden, strictly in containers on the balcony).

Oh, also I am noticing a black liquid leaking from the holes in the bottom. I wash the tray off periodically because of this. I'm guessing this may be a result of throwing coffee grounds in (I drink Turkish coffee, so there is always more liquid together with the "mud" than with American style drip coffee makers).

Thank you in advance for any advice or help.

Eric

BTW, I have noticed that even though it's only been there a few weeks, I'm not recognizing most of the components that I threw away in the thing. Vegetable residue like carrot peels and kohlrabi peels (that's what I remember putting in about two weeks ago) have disappeared completely as have the older newspaper shreddings I put in. The only thing I noticed that's still recognizable was egg shells and of course the papaya peels and fresh newspaper shreddings I put in today.

applestar
Mod

They could be fruitfly pupae. They are almost inevitable in a compost pile (especially enclosed and wet pile that is starting to smell) but adding more browns will help to alleviate the conditions that are conducive to their activities.

You're not throwing away the liquid are you? The compost leacheate is nutrient dense and should be used as fertilizer. Dilute to weak tea color with de-chlorinated/rainwater.

I haven't tried composting in a bucket, but from what I have read, best approach is to have two buckets and dump the contents from one to the other (not all at once might you -- you want to aerate). There should be a third watertight bucket or tray to catch the leacheate that comes out of the drain holes.

eric11210

I was throwing away the liquid. Won't do so anymore ;). Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to capture it from now on and try your suggestion. Just bought a bottle of commercial fertilizer from the gardening shop, but I'd much rather use something organic...

Eric

Edit: Just did a quick Google search for images and yes, they're definitely fruitfly pupae. I hope it doesn't end up with a huge mess and infestation. Will add more shredded newspaper if the smell continues.

Return to “Composting Forum”