christel

no worm pee

Hi all

Can anybody tell me why my worms don't seem to pee? It's winter here in NZ but it's not THAT cold and I don't have them outside, they are on the veranda in a corner well sheltered but I suppose they would like to have a jacket on at times. They do eat plenty and none have died but they just don't give me any pee. I put some in another, smaller box to see how they are doing in there but it's just the same.
HELP PLEASE

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The liquid that typically drains out of worm bins, isn't exactly worm pee. It is leachate of the worm castings and everything that's in there. It won't drain like that if it isn't moist enough, all the liquids are just absorbed back into the bedding.

Did you start with your bedding materials thoroughly moistened? Do you add water? Worm bins, like other compost bins, need to be watered. Worms don't like dry.

christel

rainbowgardener wrote:The liquid that typically drains out of worm bins, isn't exactly worm pee. It is leachate of the worm castings and everything that's in there. It won't drain like that if it isn't moist enough, all the liquids are just absorbed back into the bedding.

Did you start with your bedding materials thoroughly moistened? Do you add water? Worm bins, like other compost bins, need to be watered. Worms don't like dry.
Thank you :):):) You're STAR. My worm cast is VERY dry so I think THAT actually might be the problem. I will give them a good dring in a little while. Will let you know the outcome if you're interested.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Be careful with city water the clorine will hurt the worms!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are concerned about that, just let the water stand over night to outgas the chlorine.

When I was doing my worm bin, I think I did add my tap water directly. You would only be adding about a cupful at a time, spread over the top surface. And you would not be putting it directly on the worms, since when you open the bin to water, the worms are not on the surface.

Return to “Composting Forum”