baconfiend
Newly Registered

Any body use a leaf mold?

I started one a couple of years ago and it's ready to go but I have yet to decide what to do with it...

For those of you who have one or have at one time, what did you use it for?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I make a big round of leafmould every year (probably less broken down than yours, at first)...makes a great mulch, especially when layered with chopped greens of some sort (comfrey's my favorite, but almost any old weeds, chopped up, do the trick, too). that way you get a good combination of water retention from the mulch as a whole, and the greens breaking down add a lot of nutrition. I use it mostly for bigger stuff like my yacon, or young fruit trees.

or, with more greens at a time, as a part of a larger sheet-mulching/composting on a bed. sheet composting, for me, always gets better results when it can be assembled and then left for the worms to work on a for a few months - like starting it in the fall, but not planting into it until spring. a good 4-6 months works wonders.

baconfiend
Newly Registered

Not too long after I made my leaf mold bin my leaf blower quit working. I finally got around to taking it apart and getting it running again. You can use it as a vaccuum that mulches and bags the leaves. It makes it a snap to clean up all your leaves.

I look forward to getting back to it... And filling my bin back up again!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I store leaves in a wire bin in the fall and use them over the winter to layer with my kitchen scraps, then next spring and summer to mix with greens from the yard and garden. I used to store them in bags but one day a light bulb went on and I realized I should just let them start breaking down slowly over the winter. Also much neater and nicer looking than bags of leaves stuffed in every nook and cranny.

At our new rural property (16A of woods) we have to remove some pretty good piles of leaves in the spring so they don't smother our limited lawn. I've made a couple of wire fence leaf corrals for them and plan to just let them sit for however long it takes. Should be good stuff!

Return to “Composting Forum”