OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Using a Used Pot

So I had to Choped Down a tall Tomato plant from a 5Gallon pot, I took out the main rootball the soil has lots of roots but I already put a Pepper plant in the soil after mixing it, Will the Roots harm the roots from the pepper plant?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Not IMO. I don't think peppers are subject to the same diseases as the nightshades. Should be fine.

The roots ... in my experience, at least ... just decompose. At most, they might use up some of the nitrogen in the soil as they go through the decomposition process, but I don't think it will be enough to make any difference to the pepper plant. JMO. though. :)

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well thats better than what I thought, I thought it will create too much nitrogen and burn the roots but if it will rob a lil bit of N then Ill just give it some small doses of Fish fertilizer :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Peppers are nightshades, so if the tomato was diseased, it could pass it on to the pepper. But as long as the tomato was not diseased it should be fine.

When you hear about plants being burned by excess nitrogen that is pretty much always either synthetic fertilizer or raw, uncomposted manure.

In the ordinary way of natural plant processes, using compost, nitrogen fixing plants, decomposition, there is no way to burn anything.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Ya beat me to it, Rainbow. The nightshade family is pretty LARGE, and I can't cook any of its members for my sister whenever she comes over. :(

Peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant are the vegetable members of this family. At least one on-line source also states that goji berries and gooseberries are also part of the vast Solanaceae clan, together with--tobacco! and nicotiana flowers.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well My tomato plant was in perfect condition just had to cut it down because it just stoped growing and had enough tomatoes in it that I can call it Its Full Potential Life Spam, I didnt mind Cutting it down for My New Growing Super Hot

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

When I am done with a plant I just take scissors or shears and cut it off at ground level leaving the roots inside the soil. Leaving the roots inside have some benefits such as providing passage ways for oxygen and water.

@Cynthia yeah they even say if you smoke cigarettes not to touch your tomato or pepper plants cause you can spread Tobacco Mosaic Virus.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Your not even supposed to smoke around them. If you had resistant varieties I don't think it would kill them unless they got a ton of it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The TMV cannot be transmitted by smoke, only by direct transfer from the tobacco leaf (e.g. if your hands actually touch the tobacco and then your plant or if you drop tobacco on the ground).

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I think that was what reptile was trying to say, that if you handle a cigarette and immediately touch your plants you could theoretically transfer the virus.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I don't smoke but heard that the smoke to will harm them.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Hard to imagine the virus could survive the smoking process.

Maybe the second hand smoke is just harmful to the plants' lungs. :P

Return to “Composting Forum”