imafan26
Mod

Re: How much urine in the compost is enough?

I don't even use synthetic urea. I think I will stick to sulfate of ammonia for my nitrogen needs.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

What does a 'sweet jar' look like and why is it called that? We don't have anything by that name on this side of the pond, but maybe we call it something else?

In summer, I often step outside after dark and visit various parts of the yard. Sometimes the compost or the leaf bin, but often around trees and shrubs, flower beds etc. I never feel like it's too much but it's not in the same place day after day. :-]

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I mix 1 pint jar of wood ash into a 5 gallon bucket of organic material then pee in the bucket several times every day for a week. In about a week it smells like Ammonia. Ammonia is a strong nitrogen. Keep a lid on the bucket and keep it in the hot sun to speed up the compose action for 30 days. In 30 days 5 gallons will turn into 1 gallon of the best fertilizer compose you ever had. It contains, lime, potash, minerals, and lots of nitrogen. Make a new compose bucket every week you will have a steady supply of fertilizer compose 1 gallon every week. Think about it 1 gallon is not very much a lot of work for so little.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Why not use something like a sawdust toilet? You can buy toilet seats for buckets. Put some wood stove pellets in the bucket and pee in that. Add more pellets when it gets soggy. When it gets half to 2/3 full dump it on the compost pile. If you have access to sawdust or cardboard shavings those work too.

I use one in the basement. It saves on water usage and trips up and down the stairs when I'm working on a big project there.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If you smell ammonia, that's the smell of nitrogen escaping your compost. Probably happening because the ash you are adding is causing a very high pH, which pushes the ammonia/ammonium equilibrium toward ammonia, which then offgases. It can also happen when there is not enough air getting to the place where it's decomposing.

Better to use only sawdust or perhaps cut down on the ash, and make sure it gets turned and mixed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the sawdust toilet as a way to keep nutrients out of the sewage plant. Just trying to increase the efficiency and success here.

Return to “Composting Forum”