mmmfloorpie

Mice!

I was moving my compost pile today to my garden and I took a scoop and found 3 baby mice in it! Creeped me out, so I just threw them back and ran away lol...

I didn't realize mice would make a nest inside a compost heap! It's weird too because my composter is one of those hard plastic shells. It gets super hot in there and there's very little oxygen. The mice were breathing but they weren't really doing much but laying there. Luckily there were no parents around.

Is this common? I didn't think anything but insects could live in a compost heap do to the heat and lack of air.

applestar
Mod

There's a little plastic attachment you can screw on to convert plastic soda bottles into mouse traps. That means they can get into a hole the size of soda bottle opening.

I think regularly maintained compost piles with correct moisture levels and occasional turning would not be attractive to mice habitation.

That said, I would have probably screamed and ran and not even put them back. :lol:

BTW -- lack of air? Compost piles should be well aerated....

mmmfloorpie

applestar wrote: BTW -- lack of air? Compost piles should be well aerated....
I know, but all I have are those black plastic ones and I never turned them over the winter. Today was the first time.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Turn the pile and water it. Mice like warm, stable nests; all the commotion will make them move out. :twisted:

I drove some mice out of my BioStack three or so years ago by turning the pile. Was pretty grossed out, but they haven't come back. Yet....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If you haven't turned over a pile since last fall, it's no longer hot and hasn't been for awhile. Mice love the insulation and will make nests in compost over the winter.

What you need is a snake. Just kidding. :-]

I second the advice to turn over and use your piles regularly. You might be surprised to learn that there were mice around already, they just took up residence in the bin. My cat finds them in the suburban lawn. :!:

Return to “Composting Forum”