Gustav
Cool Member

Soil recipe for planting fruit trees & strawberries.

Hi again.

Does anyone have a recipe mix for soil to plant the above mentioned in.

I heard to use sand, peat moss, compost etc.

Does anyone have the amounts of each to use?

farmerlon
Green Thumb

For the fruit trees, it's advisable to have a soil test performed on the orchard area, and amend the soil accordingly, well before the trees are planted. When planting trees, the standard recommendation is to backfill the hole with the same "native" soil that was removed from the hole.

Strawberries like a soil with good tilth, to a rooting depth of at least 12 inches. I usually add plentiful amounts of compost to my Strawberry beds.
You might find this organic strawberry guide from Cornell University handy ...
https://nysipm.cornell.edu/organic_guide/strawberry.pdf

Best of luck! :D

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am growing fruit trees in big pots and strawberries in pots too. I used basic potting soil, compost, and azomite (rock dust). I also use citrus tone on my lemon and lime tree. One thing I have learned so far is fruit trees need lots of food. They also need their trace minerals, things like zinc, iron, magnesium, rock dust and epsom salt come in handy.

Gustav
Cool Member

Thnx for the strawberry growing link. It helped a lot.

I noticed it said that chicken manure has a lot more minerals etc. in it than
that of dairy cow manure. Should I rather use that then as I do have some?

I want to plant strawberries this year & was thinking of doing it in raised mounds filled with my own potting soil mix, covering it with black plastic & poling holes in the plastic where the strawberry plant will be planted wit a dripper irrigation system.

What do you think the soil mix should consist of & how much of what?

I have cow manure, chicken manure, sand, peat moss, compost available, but will buy anything else that is needed.

Any idea?

Return to “Composting Forum”